Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

'02 F150 SuperCrew - 1st Gear Slipping

Old 11-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '02 F150 SuperCrew - 1st Gear Slipping

A couple weeks ago, my truck started to slip a bit in first gear, particularly when the temperature outside was below freezing. I checked fluid, looked good and it wasn't burnt, plus when I let the truck warm up for a while before driving, the problem was lessened.

However, within a matter of days, the slipping got so bad, I can barely get from 1st to second gear. If I hit the gas hard to try to get it up to where it will get into second, sometimes it gets an awful grinding/buzzing sound. Stops when I left off the gas.

Works good on all other gears, except first.

I'm figuring the tranny is toast and am looking to buy a used one since the engine has 190k on it. For that matter, how many miles do these 4.6L's last for? It's an '02 with 190,000 which means it has had a lot of highway miles (I got it from my mother who owned the vehicle for about 4 years and it was already around 160,000 when she got it - over 30,000 miles/yr). The engine runs real well, has no leaks, running synthetic. Thoughts?

Would Lucas products help limp it along a little longer till I get the "new" tranny in or is that a waste of time/money?

Also, is it possible it is something else is wrong? Instead of a tranny R/R?

Thanks,
Alex
The following users liked this post:
Jerry7136 (12-17-2023)
Old 11-29-2011, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Converter Shudder

Is it possible that this problem is being caused by ATF breakdown? I read that a common symptom of fluid breakdown can cause "converter shudder" where the torque converter tries to maintain a steady slip rate during 'lock-up' but fails and begins slipping and grabbing. Supposedly the result is similar to the feeling of driving over a rubble strip on the highway, which is what my truck feels like when the RPMs get high in first gear.

Once it is out of first gear, this whole problem goes away.

thanks for the help,
Alex
Old 11-29-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, the older tranny fluid holds everything together. If you haven't changed the tranny fluid within the last 30k miles, it is pointless to do so now, because the old fluid is actually holding everything together. You might be able to put some Lucas tranny fluid in there to help it slipping. If that doesn't work you might as well rebuild the tranny. Why install a used one when you don't know if it was abused? BTW these engines are TOUGH and as long as you keep up on the maintenance, they will easily surpass 200k miles
Old 12-23-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My truck is a 2003 extended cab 4x4 with 4.6 with 411,000k...i just got a bit of slipping in tranny since the weather temp has dropped, i added lucas trans fluid to my existing fluid and so far so good...the truck is in perfect shape, engine has not been touched...so i added the Lucas with hopes it will work the way it is supposed to, every once in awhile i would get a hard shift into passing gear or going up long hill...but it sounds like yours might be a bit worse. Ill keep you posted on how the lucas keeps it working!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '02 F150 SuperCrew - 1st Gear Slipping