Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

02 F150 5.4 vin L no fuel to the fuel rail PLEASE HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 F150 5.4 vin L no fuel to the fuel rail PLEASE HELP...

I'm at my wits end on this... my truck spun a crank bearing and has been sitting for about a year without starting it... (I put fuel treatment in about 6 mo ago) I now have the funds to get the motor to a machine shop, and it wont start... (need to pull it in the driveway, sitting on the street). lt will fire and run by spraying ether into the throttle body, so I know it has spark... I first replaced the fuel filter, it attempted to fire maybe 5 times and nothing after, I pushed the schrader valve and no gas came out, no air either... I have since replaced the fuel pump (Delphi), the fuel pump relay, the fuel pressure regulator, swapped out the pcm relay, checked every fuse in the truck (in the cab and under the hood) I also checked the inertia switch (not tripped), checked continuity at the inertia switch (it works on the ground, so it only has continuity with the key on), the theft light normally cycles (no fast flash), I also have a spare key that is not chipped and it makes the theft light flash fast... I have double checked that I plugged in the harnesses... I'm starting to wonder if there's some force out there that wants to keep embarrassing me by making me borrow my parent's 1987 chevy sprint...
I'm hoping that someone out there can tell me I missed something and make me feel stupid.... Hoping for a good forehead slap!!!!
I guess I should add I have blown air through the fuel lines from the tank to the schrader valve and know there aren't any obstructions... I also cannot hear the fuel pump prime and still have no fuel to the fuel rail...

And yes, I am new here, and I have spent more time today scrolling through threads than working on my truck, looking for solutions. All the threads I read all have a resolution by the time they have done everything I have... if there is another thread that addresses this, feel free to point me in that direction, because I could not find it...
Old 03-05-2016, 12:25 AM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

When you turn the key to crank and you do not hear the fuel pump come on for 2-3 seconds and you have the 12v power needed then you have a 1) bad connection at the fuel pump, 2) a bad fuel pump or 3) a ground left unconnected around the fuel pump. BTW a 87 Chevy Sprint is better than no transportation at all. Been there, done that, got the trophy to prove it. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Keith_Markham (03-06-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 12:49 AM

That is where I was at, waiting for the warmth of daylight to drop the tank, so I can begin the process of checking wires... I'm really hoping it's not a rodent ate a wire kind of problem...
I was also hoping that there was some magical component I missed too...
Old 03-05-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Try removing the filter
The following users liked this post:
Keith_Markham (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 07:43 PM

Well apparently when installing a fuel pump, you should always plug the wires all the way into the pump before reassembly....
I got my wish for the forehead slap moment.....
after checking everything, and I mean everything... I was only left with pulling the tank back out, either I forgot to plug it in, or I installed a bad pump. Lucky me... I was a dumbass!

Quick Reply: 02 F150 5.4 vin L no fuel to the fuel rail PLEASE HELP...