Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

01 f150 extended cab car stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 01 f150 extended cab car stereo

Questions:
1.) how do you secure a double din deck, besides comp insurance + receipt? thinking - security torx through dash plastic or round off bolts?
2.) how do you secure a subwoofer box? - was thinking, remove sub, drill hole in bottom, drywall screw directly through floor. Re-install sub
3.) how do you secure amp? round out the bolts or use security torx?
4.) loud booming bass shallow mount sub: single JL10w1 or two?
5.) for 2x10" subs bridged 2om mono - which amp?
6.) speakers - better clarity than stock without being "too bright" ?

Want:
-double din, bluetooth streaming, & backup camera. Was thinking this one.
-loud, deep, booming bass. Yeah, I know...it's subjective. I like the way JL Audio sounds...I have a 10w1 right now, and it's not loud enough. Was thinking this pre-fab dual 10" box and an additional 10w1
-subs to be out of the way - keep the rear seats - like this
Old 12-18-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought this one and had it installed a couple weeks agoin my 03. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017L...XD784A6E0EECX9It is an awesome stereo, I live in Las Vegas and we have a lot of HD stations so I got one with HD radio. I also had the XM reciever added which works wonderful integrated into the stereo.

oh and for securing I had an alarm put in.

Last edited by Vegas 03 Screw Owner; 12-18-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:16 PM
mbb

Received 892 Likes on 734 Posts

your double din stereo doesnt bolt in, it slides in and sort of snaps into place.
It takes about 10 seconds to pop off trim ring and pull out.

Why do you want to secure stuff?

If someones in your truck...they will take it.

Many a dash has been cut up by a sawzall to get a deck, even when it could have been just pulled out, the thieves didnt know.

Youre best security....is not playing your stereo loud enough for others to hear around anyone that might want to rip you off.

My friend in HS, 1984. Rich kid. Had a ford bronco, alpine stereo. 15" subwoofer, dual batteries, couple thousand REAL watts, $6000 +in stereo equipment...back then. That would be like $20,000 today (stuff is ridiculously cheap today) You could hear him coming long before you saw him. Parked his vehicle under carport at his house, right outside his parents bedroom window, literally 15 ft away from window. Had alarm system in truck. Everything was stolen one night.

Lock your doors
have insurance
be smart and dont worry about it.

Professional thieves...will get whatever they want. If they dont get it, they will destroy it and your vehicle trying. A friend of mine had stereo stolen from her car about 20 yrs ago, they broke her window to get it....the door was unlocked.

When I was living in apartment just out of college, a neighbor of mine had a new IROC camaro stripped outside her bedroom window. in an apartment complex. Wheels and tires gone, seats gone, alarm system gone, etc. Left up on old tires with a floor jack next to it, and a few cans of beer. ...incredible the brazenness of professionals in a parking lot with dozens of other people living around.

Last edited by mbb; 12-18-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh here's a pic with it installed
The following 2 users liked this post by Vegas 03 Screw Owner:
Brandmaner (12-18-2016), Vortex (12-19-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 05:58 PM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Where the hell are you parking it that you are worried about bolting everything down? Is it really that bad?

As others have said, bolting in stereo equipment usually only results in additional damage to your truck along with the equipment being stolen (or destroyed in the process).
Old 12-18-2016, 06:15 PM

Not going to lie, I never thought about doing this to my stuff... And even after reading this I'm slightly baffled. Where I am from you can leave the doors to your home unlocked for the most part. I almost never locked my door at night when I was asleep in the home. And I think the only time I ever locked the doors is when we'd all be out for the weekend or something. And as for my vehicles I never locked the doors on them, I still forget to lock them half the time now, but I live on a military post so I don't think I'd have as much to worry about though some of these soldiers and there spouses are shady.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:00 AM

I've been buying rental properties in southern california...my latest acquisition was a good deal, but on the east side of Long Beach, with no garage or off-street parking. Breaking into unlocked cars, or locked cars is a nightly thing in this neighborhood. I don't plan on living here more than a year before I add a bedroom and flip it, it or rent it out.

But man, if they're going to sawzall the dash to get a deck, I might as well just keep a cheap deck and have a backup camera swing out of the overhead console...or keep the faceplate off the factory deck and velcro it over the Pioneer if I'm in a sketchy neighborhood...hmmm decisions decisions

I know not to bump where I park (lost my car stereo in high school that way), I'm buying the stereo at shops/amazon (so I can have a receipt for insurance), and I carry comprehensive insurance

Last edited by Vortex; 12-19-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:11 AM
mbb

Received 892 Likes on 734 Posts

new cars stereos are largely integrated into vehicle today, and relatively speaking, aftermarket are cheap compared to yesteryear. I dont think stereo theft is a big of a thing as it once was. Your just as likely to have them steal your catalytic converter for scrap as your stereo in some areas.

in 1989 I had brand new toyota truck with 32" tires on aluminum rims. Went out of town for work. Someone tried to steal my wheels. Centercap was gone from a couple wheels, and lug nuts were missing They got started and then discovered the locking lug nuts and gave up apparently.
I had dreams about someone stealing my truck wheels/tires for several years afterwards. Not that it would be a big thing with insurance, but the violation aspect of it subcontiously stays with you.

Last edited by mbb; 12-19-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For door speakers I have pioneer 6x9 and they are very well made and sound good for the price. I got mine for free as well as my radio (so of course I like it) but I couldn't picture the speakers being extremely expensive. I have my bass setting on 4 but when I get my subs I will take all bass from the speakers and have a **** just for the subs.