Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

01 F-150 rough idle in the mornings???

Old 03-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 F-150 rough idle in the mornings???

When I crank my truck up in the mornings and take off if i stop at a stoplight or something and sit for a little while my truck idles rough. The RPMs will drop down low then go back high then back and forth until i take off again. But if i hold it around 1000 rpms it is fine. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know what it could be???
Old 03-28-2009, 02:34 AM

Mine does the same thing, it truly just hates cold weather. I have this same exact problem, especially if I just jump in and take off. But if I let it warm up for a minute or 2 it usually doesn't do it.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Riding In The South

Originally Posted by sdfletch252
When I crank my truck up in the mornings and take off if i stop at a stoplight or something and sit for a little while my truck idles rough. The RPMs will drop down low then go back high then back and forth until i take off again. But if i hold it around 1000 rpms it is fine. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know what it could be???
Mine did that and i replaced IAC idle air control dont do it no more maybe this would help i think its like 15 or maybe 40 one of the two cant remember
Old 03-28-2009, 04:47 PM

Try removing your intake tube where it goes into the throttle body.. with the engine off manually open the butterfly valve and spray a whole can of intake cleaner in and around the intake opening. there are a few sensors that measure air along with the Idle control BroganF150 mentioned. these sensors get carbon build up on them and really play with the ECU. clean them all off really well. remember you just sprayed allot of junk down your intake so when you start your truck it will smoke and miss for a bit. but it will thank you after.. its also a good idea to disconnect the battery.. this will reset the ECU.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:05 PM
will run you OVER

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

you know it could also be the auto-choke. on most cold mornings on a fresh start it will rev higher than normal to warmup to regular running temp. but if you mash it right after you start it, it can mess up the choke causing it to do a regular idle on a cold engine which causes it to run rough.

On cold mornings I heard its only good to start up and warm up your diesels, gas motors dont have enough airflow and can cause premature warp. But start it a few mins so you can scrape ice off, then when you drive off go slow at first so the auto-choke can do its job. Once the temp gauge is off the C post you will notice it doesnt rev as high but more as normal, then you can drive like you would usually do.
I have found on my truck If you treat her right she'll treat you right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 F-150 rough idle in the mornings???