Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

01 barely idles then dies

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 barely idles then dies

Hey guys,

My truck quit while driving and will start and barely idle for a few seconds before it dies. I can start it right back up and it will do the same thing. It even smooths out and idles perfectly for a few seconds once in a while.

I have replaced the fuel filter and I am thinking about replacing the pump which I did less than a year ago. The pump is running and I get some pressure at the injector rail, but there is a lot of air coming out of the Schrader valve too.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 5,553 Likes on 4,630 Posts

There should be 0 air in the fuel lines unless you ran it out fuel and to cheep to put enough gas in it. Could have a bad fuel line, internal pump tube. Yea, they don't run too good on air.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:42 PM

That's what I figured. I have bled it at the schrader valve several times and every time there was quite a bit of air. And yes, I did think to make sure it has gas.

Looks like time to pull the fuel tank.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

take if to the shop the computer will show what is wrong or they can check the rail pressure. As long as the pump comes on and stops when you turn the key to on without starting it, it should run.. Maybe you got bad gas.. drain the tank and refill it.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justin124
Hey guys,

My truck quit while driving and will start and barely idle for a few seconds before it dies. I can start it right back up and it will do the same thing. It even smooths out and idles perfectly for a few seconds once in a while.

I have replaced the fuel filter and I am thinking about replacing the pump which I did less than a year ago. The pump is running and I get some pressure at the injector rail, but there is a lot of air coming out of the Schrader valve too.

Thanks

take a look at your EGR valve. you can use some drip like and disconnect the green hose, and put the drip hose on there and suck on the other end if it makes it worse its not the EGR valve, but it sounds like your EGR is messing up.

I hope you have found out what the issue was. please let me know the results.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:00 PM

Default F150 fuel problems

Replaced fuel pump. That fixed it.

Quick Reply: 01 barely idles then dies