Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Part Sales

custom ecoboost intercooler guards

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default custom ecoboost intercooler guards

Anyone interested in some custom ecoboost intercooler guards. They would be made of mirrored stainless steel. They would bolt right in and look great. Taking in any and all ideas for designs right now.

This is one of the designs but the honeycombs will be smaller.

let me know what you guys think and any designs you would like to see

Thanks

Kyle
Attached Thumbnails custom ecoboost intercooler guards-ecoboost.jpg  
Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Green Goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that honeycomb look better than the cheap slotted style you see on ebay. How much smaller are you planning on making the holes?
The reason I ask is because when I was toying with this idea for an intercooler guard on my 03 Cobra, I kept running in to the problem of losing too much air flow and having a negative affect on the cooling. Even in the picture you show, you have to consider that you are blocking at least 5% of the air flow. Obviously that wouldn't be as much of a problem on a stock Ecoboost versus a highly boosted 4.6L, but if you tow alot, or are in stop and go traffic, it can have more of an affect than you realize.

Would you consider making them black?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by ElCid04
I like that honeycomb look better than the cheap slotted style you see on ebay. How much smaller are you planning on making the holes?
The reason I ask is because when I was toying with this idea for an intercooler guard on my 03 Cobra, I kept running in to the problem of losing too much air flow and having a negative affect on the cooling. Even in the picture you show, you have to consider that you are blocking at least 5% of the air flow. Obviously that wouldn't be as much of a problem on a stock Ecoboost versus a highly boosted 4.6L, but if you tow alot, or are in stop and go traffic, it can have more of an affect than you realize.

Would you consider making them black?
i would consider making and selling them as bare steel so they could be ptm'ed or painted black aswell. i dont have the facilities to paint them to a level of quality that i would like and shipping them out for paint would drive up the cost, not saying i wouldnt ship them out but it would cost more.

And i totally understand your idea of harming flow and thats why i will be doing testing with an anemometer to make sure that the flow is not decreased to a point that would cause harm or a negative effect. i feel that currently the holes are to big because rocks can still pass though. i would like to have them about half that size and then do some testing on it. currently just looking for more designs that people would like to see and that might match there trucks.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, love the style, but like you said smaller size honeycombs. How much would they go for, and yes i am interested in one.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ElGordoTejano
Yep, love the style, but like you said smaller size honeycombs. How much would they go for, and yes i am interested in one.
Im trying to figure out. A price for them right now. There is alot of cutting involved so well have to see. But it wont be long til i have a price.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in i would like one
Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Make a whole entire upper grille section similar to that! That would look awesome!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by J.Cagle
Make a whole entire upper grille section similar to that! That would look awesome!
Yeah id like to at some point just have a hard time getting ahold of a truck that the owner says i can take the grille off of to mock stuff up with.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Green Goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999f1504x4
i would consider making and selling them as bare steel so they could be ptm'ed or painted black aswell. i dont have the facilities to paint them to a level of quality that i would like and shipping them out for paint would drive up the cost, not saying i wouldnt ship them out but it would cost more.

And i totally understand your idea of harming flow and thats why i will be doing testing with an anemometer to make sure that the flow is not decreased to a point that would cause harm or a negative effect. i feel that currently the holes are to big because rocks can still pass though. i would like to have them about half that size and then do some testing on it. currently just looking for more designs that people would like to see and that might match there trucks.
Count me in for one of the intercooler guards. Sounds like you know what you are doing. The bare steel would be fine with me too...Plastidip!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ElCid04

Count me in for one of the intercooler guards. Sounds like you know what you are doing. The bare steel would be fine with me too...Plastidip!
Sounds good I'll report back this week with my findings as well as some other designs.

Quick Reply: custom ecoboost intercooler guards