Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Regional Forums > Northeast
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

RGB LED Halo Laws in PA?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
Proud F150 Owner!
 
FStorm150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

So I got pulled over today because I had my new LED halos on, note they're RGB ColorMorph and I had them set to blue. The cop said they have to be white to be legal, which isn't a big deal because I can make them any color I want.

But I was wondering if anyone else in PA has run into any issues using colored halos or LED lighting that isn't a "stock color"?
__________________
2005 XLT 4x4 Super Cab 5.4L :|: BDS 6" Lift :|: 35x12.5R20 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 20x9 XD Hoss Black Wheels :|: Yukon 4.10 Gears :|: Flowmaster True Dual Super 10's :|: K&N 57 Series Gen II CAI :|: Morimoto Mini Stage III H1 Retrofits w/ RGB ColorMorph Halos :|: Custom Raptor Grille with LED's :|: KC SlimLites :|: Wet Okole Seat Covers :|: Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Bed Cover

Last edited by FStorm150; 03-24-2015 at 07:24 PM.
FStorm150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
MGD
Digital Immigrant
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,936
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 403 Times in 323 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStorm150 View Post
So I got pulled over today because I had my new LED halos on, note they're RGB ColorMorph and I had them set to blue. The cop said they have to be white to be legal, which isn't a big deal because I can make them any color I want. Granted, he was also just being a dick by pulling me over, as I've driven by cops in my hometown multiple times with them set on different colors and haven't gotten pulled over yet. Whatever, not a big deal.

But I was wondering if anyone else in PA has run into any issues using colored halos or LED lighting that isn't (as he put it) "stock color"?
I believe it's Federally mandated.

Only legal colors up front are Amber and White.

LEO's discretion. Yer only calling him a d1ck because you were caught. Please note that from his perspective Y'all were in the wrong, lol. Take responsibility and OWN IT.
__________________


Vlad

Last edited by sterlingone; 03-24-2015 at 05:21 PM.
MGD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
Retired and loving it!
 
sterlingone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 4,583
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Thanked 509 Times in 380 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Above post cleaned up a little........and I agree that kind of headlight mod is highly illegal, so the rest of his response stays......and I am LEO (retired) and I am going to let you call the officer who wrote you in your post a derogatory name......but, you deserved the ticket....own it, and change your headlights to something legal.
Only LEO's are allowed to have blue lights anywhere on the outside of their cars --- if you think about it, there's a very good reason for that.
__________________

In changing times, one must live by unchanging principles.

Last edited by sterlingone; 03-24-2015 at 05:32 PM.
sterlingone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
MGD
Digital Immigrant
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,936
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 403 Times in 323 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingone View Post
Above post cleaned up a little........and I agree that kind of headlight mod is highly illegal, so the rest of his response stays......and I am LEO (retired) and I am going to let you call the officer who wrote you in your post a derogatory name......but, you deserved the ticket....own it, and change your headlights to something legal.
Only LEO's are allowed to have blue lights anywhere on the outside of their cars --- if you think about it, there's a very good reason for that.
Oye.

Apologies ... but I am workin' on it... small steps

MGD
MGD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #5
Proud F150 Owner!
 
FStorm150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingone View Post
Above post cleaned up a little........and I agree that kind of headlight mod is highly illegal, so the rest of his response stays......and I am LEO (retired) and I am going to let you call the officer who wrote you in your post a derogatory name......but, you deserved the ticket....own it, and change your headlights to something legal.
Only LEO's are allowed to have blue lights anywhere on the outside of their cars --- if you think about it, there's a very good reason for that.
I completely understand that, and I am owning it. I knew when I installed these that I was going to run the risk of being pulled over. I tested the waters and I failed, no big deal. I was simply asking if anyone else in PA ran into the same issue. I didn't install these for the pure sake of having colored halos, they're also HID projectors as well which is the main reason I got them. Could care less about the halos.

And I didn't get a ticket. I got a warning, however he disregarded that as well once I told him I was able to change them to white or amber in color, and he was fine with that. You see Lexus and BMW among other car companies coming out with factory white halos in their headlights, so I shouldn't be pulled over for them being white. And yes, I understand it's to the discretion of the LEO.

Thanks for your input!
__________________
2005 XLT 4x4 Super Cab 5.4L :|: BDS 6" Lift :|: 35x12.5R20 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 20x9 XD Hoss Black Wheels :|: Yukon 4.10 Gears :|: Flowmaster True Dual Super 10's :|: K&N 57 Series Gen II CAI :|: Morimoto Mini Stage III H1 Retrofits w/ RGB ColorMorph Halos :|: Custom Raptor Grille with LED's :|: KC SlimLites :|: Wet Okole Seat Covers :|: Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Bed Cover
FStorm150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
Retired and loving it!
 
sterlingone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 4,583
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Thanked 509 Times in 380 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStorm150 View Post
I completely understand that, and I am owning it. I knew when I installed these that I was going to run the risk of being pulled over. I tested the waters and I failed, no big deal. I was simply asking if anyone else in PA ran into the same issue. I didn't install these for the pure sake of having colored halos, they're also HID projectors as well which is the main reason I got them. Could care less about the halos.

And I didn't get a ticket. I got a warning, however he disregarded that as well once I told him I was able to change them to white or amber in color, and he was fine with that. You see Lexus and BMW among other car companies coming out with factory white halos in their headlights, so I shouldn't be pulled over for them being white. And yes, I understand it's to the discretion of the LEO.

Thanks for your input!
Then we are all good here......thanks for understanding other's points of view as well. And, I am sure that if others here have had any LEO contact because of this type of light, they may well weigh in here for you.
__________________

In changing times, one must live by unchanging principles.
sterlingone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 PM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.