Topic Sponsor
North Central IL, IN, IA, NE, SD, ND, MI, MN, WI, OH

5.4 engine spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 engine spark plugs

I have a 2005 F-150 with only 28900 miles on it. Because this truck is about 10 years old I'm wondering if I should replace spark plugs. Engine does run rough when cold but then smooth's out after a couple minutes running.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would absolutely change the plugs. I just installed my 3rd set today. I chose e3 this time due to their 1 piece design. Runs like a champ. The part number is E3.70. Dont forget the anti-seize on the threads.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:19 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bond
I have a 2005 F-150 with only 28900 miles on it. Because this truck is about 10 years old I'm wondering if I should replace spark plugs. Engine does run rough when cold but then smooth's out after a couple minutes running.
you would probably have better luck asking this question in the 2004-2008 F150 subforum rather than the regional section. there isn't much traffic here. I'm assuming you still have the original spark plugs? if so you should definitely do some research because your generation truck was known for having a 2-piece spark plug design which would almost always break upon trying to remove them and you have to use a helicoil to get them out of the head. it isn't fun and definitely isn't something you should attempt if you don't have experience with something like this - the cylinder heads are not cheap to replace if they get damaged. there are quite a few threads on this subject so take a look and hopefully you can get your situation sorted out.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely change them before you absolutely have to, that's pretty low mileage but the age kind of constitutes. changing the plugs is one of the bigger downfalls of the 5.4 because they are so difficult to access. I had to just bite the bullet and pay to have them changed at the shop. I've also had friends that waited till they absolutely needed changed and weren't prepared for the expense.

Quick Reply: 5.4 engine spark plugs