Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Community > Regional Forums > South Central
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #121
Senior Member
 
Z7What's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Thanked 320 Times in 285 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Haven't read this entire thread but $425 isn't bad at all for a DYNO tune. It's crazy for a mail order but not DYNO.

I drove 650miles ONE way and paid $450 for my tune for my supercharged 03 5.4L tune.

But to say it's better isn't exactly true. You can datalog everything the tuner can and send him the log and he can make adjustments off that. Which is basically no different than a dyno tune.

Dynos are used to tune cause it safer to do 100+ MPH on the dyno than street! There has been low 10sec Lightnings tuned this way and never been on the rollers once. The tune will only be as good as the datalog.

And honestly street tuning is better if you ask me because dynos only simulate real world conditions. Simulate being the key word. Nothing can simulate real world load, heat, wind drag, temps, etc as well as real world. Dynos are a tuning tool, driving and logging after a dyno tune should be done to make sure everything is were it should be.

Wayne
__________________
Silver 2013 F-150 Supercrew 5.0L FX2
Boss Coilover Suspension, 275/60R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Airaid Jr Intake, Banks Monster Muffler, Mag-Hytec, SCT Tuned By Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning
Built On 11-15-2012

Last edited by Z7What; 07-11-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #122
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aurora Colorado
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

The thing I've always been concerned about is how many of the people who write these tunes are doing their testing a 5000 feet above sea level? Then again if you tune it for this altitude how will it run if you road trip to the coast.
Larsen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I agree with Z7What, actual Road/Track testing is the very best, but I don't have the time/resources of a Race Team so a few DYNO sessions are the best I can do. Haha. I do plan on road testing and tweaking the tune a bit though.


Larsen- Non of the guys doing the computer tunes can fully take the altitude into account. The computers in our trucks are programmed to maintain a certain Air-Fuel-Ratio. Since this is highly dependent on how much OXYGEN the engine is getting NOT how much air, it would be almost impossible to take into account the lower Oxygen percentage of our air with one of these computer tunes.


Once you start adding CAI's and exhausts, the amount of Air and Also oxygen can start to change outside the boundries of the Stock PCMs limits causing codes to trip.


From what I understand you have to essentially "Trick" the MAF sensor at altitude so it thinks its getting less air (less oxygen) than it actually is to account for the lower Oxygen percentage. Ill let you guys know my results!
Corylax18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #124
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aurora Colorado
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corylax18 View Post
I agree with Z7What, actual Road/Track testing is the very best, but I don't have the time/resources of a Race Team so a few DYNO sessions are the best I can do. Haha. I do plan on road testing and tweaking the tune a bit though.


Larsen- Non of the guys doing the computer tunes can fully take the altitude into account. The computers in our trucks are programmed to maintain a certain Air-Fuel-Ratio. Since this is highly dependent on how much OXYGEN the engine is getting NOT how much air, it would be almost impossible to take into account the lower Oxygen percentage of our air with one of these computer tunes.


Once you start adding CAI's and exhausts, the amount of Air and Also oxygen can start to change outside the boundries of the Stock PCMs limits causing codes to trip.


From what I understand you have to essentially "Trick" the MAF sensor at altitude so it thinks its getting less air (less oxygen) than it actually is to account for the lower Oxygen percentage. Ill let you guys know my results!
Yeah, keep us posted. I don't mind paying more if it's a better tune, just a little concerned about the system's ability to adapt to lower altitude if it's set up for our thinner air.
Larsen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #125
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Not to change the subject too much, I just moved here from Texas about a month ago. I'm in Parker.

That being said, when I got my current truck (in February) my thoughts were, "I've only needed 4wd when I was being childish"....... Then I decided to move to Colorado


I can make a new thread for this if no one here knows the best solution to the following question.

I live in Parker and Commute to Castle Rock, when the snow starts falling should I get chains/cables or get snow tires? My dad lives in New York and had a 2wd for years, he just had snow tires put on the rear tires for the winter months and got by.

Tires are more expensive and I then have to pay a shop to swap the tires (and pray they don't F em up) and I'll have to find a place to store them for the summer.

Also, should I just run chains/cables on the back tires or all 4?
NothinSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #126
hallenfe
 
hallenfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Scottsbluff Nebraska
Posts: 1,092
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

What part of TX. I just loved here from OK. I'll be going back in about a year and a half.
__________________
2014 F150 FX4 6.2L
2010 Ford F150 FX4: SOLD
hallenfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #127
Member
 
mwcjr159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Just my opinion but although Colorado is a mountain state, the winters on the foothills and plains are usually very mild. The sun shines here alot and typically any snow/ice we get is melted from the pavement a few hours after it falls.

Of course now I said that this will be a record setting/Icy/snowy winter. :-P

I have driven a 2wd work truck for years around Denver with stock tires, traction control and a couple sand bags in the back with no real issues. The biggest scare comes from other drivers that either drive like its dry pavement or are scared to death and drive 5 miles an hour when it rains.

That being said if you feel unsafe on the snow or ice. Snow tires can give you a little better grip, if you decide you need them I would try to find some xl steel wheels and get them mounted on those. Less risk of damaging rims that way.
Ive only ever needed chains heading into the mountains. Not a bad thing to have just incase but if you ever use them put them on all 4 tires.
mwcjr159 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:38 PM   #128
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallenfe View Post
What part of TX. I just loved here from OK. I'll be going back in about a year and a half.
Round Rock, just north of Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcjr159 View Post
Just my opinion but although Colorado is a mountain state, the winters on the foothills and plains are usually very mild. The sun shines here alot and typically any snow/ice we get is melted from the pavement a few hours after it falls.

Of course now I said that this will be a record setting/Icy/snowy winter. :-P

I have driven a 2wd work truck for years around Denver with stock tires, traction control and a couple sand bags in the back with no real issues. The biggest scare comes from other drivers that either drive like its dry pavement or are scared to death and drive 5 miles an hour when it rains.

That being said if you feel unsafe on the snow or ice. Snow tires can give you a little better grip, if you decide you need them I would try to find some xl steel wheels and get them mounted on those. Less risk of damaging rims that way.
Ive only ever needed chains heading into the mountains. Not a bad thing to have just incase but if you ever use them put them on all 4 tires.
Thanks for the input, I was gonna ride it out for a few weeks once the white stuff starts falling and see how it goes. As for going into the mountains my girl friend traded in her 5.0 Stang for a Subaru so we're set there.

I'm not worried about them damaging the rims, its the tires I'm worried about - I'd love an excuse to get rid of these boring stock wheels

I'll look into pricing on chains, like you said it wouldn't hurt to keep em tucked away just in case.
NothinSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #129
Member
 
Seener84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I can't see when you would need chains for a commute. I have chains that I keep in the truck when I'm hunting in the mountains. I think you'll be fine, maybe one day you'll have to stay at home from work...
Seener84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #130
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I've been driving in CO for about 30 years now (native) and have yet to need chains. I currently live in a rural area about 12 miles east of Parker, and have found that the cars do better with snow tires on the rural roads, but when I lived in the metro area I never had snows and had no problems.

For the snows on the cars I did find it a lot easier to get an extra set of rims, so easy to swap out. Discount Tire will do the swap free if they're already on rims.

I've had the truck for 3 winters, and haven't put snows on it and it's been fine. Sometimes out here in the boonies I put it in 4wd, but usually only when the roads are iced over - which happens quite often after a snow.

I'd say drive carefully during the first couple of storms and decide what you need based on that. I-25 is fairly well maintained, although I hate driving on it in the snow because too many other drivers have no clue how to drive in snowy conditions.

Last edited by ColoradoCruiser; 10-11-2014 at 12:12 AM.
ColoradoCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:10 AM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.