Topic Sponsor
Northwest AK, ID, MT, OR, WA, WY

Tell me about living in Oregon - whats up with pumping gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

Default Tell me about living in Oregon - whats up with pumping gas?

My wife and I took a big road trip the last couple weeks and visited Oregon. We are actually now thinking about moving out there. We specifically slipped into CA just to see the large Redwood Trees and then took hwy 101 from Crescent City CA up the coast to Newport OR before going inland to Corvallis turning North to Salem and then slipping through Portland and home through Idaho.

So tell me about living in Oregon?

My wife loved the state and particularly liked Salem and thought it was pretty nice. Newport and Corvallis were nice too. Of course we only looked around for a bit and it is hard to really understand and get to know a city or state from just passing through. The people seemed really nice and we were amazed that people actually talk to you in the grocery line or out in public. We don't have that here in our small Iowa town. I hated Portland in just the small taste I had as it seemed way too populated and Liberal for me.

I am an Network / IT person and my wife is an Accountant by trade. I liked the state but the not being able to pump my own gas kinda irritated me from an independent angle and of course the price is higher too. I also understand they are trying to increase corporate taxes which IMHO would really hurt jobs and industry there? We both loved the small coastal towns, but of course jobs are tougher there I am sure and tourism or commuting are the only options IF one could afford to live close to the coast.

Any info, help and thoughs appreciated
Old 06-01-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

I've lived in the Eugene/Springfield area for the past 7 years and also lived here previously in the late 90's. I can't see myself living anywhere else any more.

The gas thing is a little irritating. It's actually pretty cheap when compared to WA/CA. I think it's mostly just for jobs purposes.

If you are an outdoorsman at all we have it all here - hiking, fishing, hunting, skiing, beaches. I can drive an hour and get to the coast. I can drive 45 minutes to go skiing. I have about 30 different options within an hours drive to take a boat out on the water. I can drive 15 minutes to a pond/river and fish for salmon, trout, bass. Or I can just drop a tube in the river and float it thru town. Pretty much endless possibilities.

The coast, to be honest, is miserable for 9-10 months out of the year. It's basically like living in San Francisco weather with more wind. Fun to visit, would never want to live there. I'm a California boy so I like the warmth of the valley - the farther south you go from me it will only get warmer in the summer. Medford/Grants Pass will breach 100 pretty often in the summers. But the humidity is nothing like what you have in Iowa.

Oregon is a blue state for sure but the majority of the blue exists within the main population centers of Portland, Salem, and Eugene. Drive 10 miles away from either of those towns and you have a fairly moderate to conservative crowd. Go east of the cascades and you won't see a democrat until you hit Minnesota.

We have state income tax but no sales tax. I personally think it should be the other way around - the only thing I miss about living in Washington state. Property tax here can be expensive depending on where you want to live.

Hope that helps!
The following users liked this post:
IAJack (06-01-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 10:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Street bike riders can pump their own gas though, for some reason that is allowed. But the attendant still has to pump it for gas cans. I had my dirt bike in the back of my truck, the attendant by me at the island handed to nozzle to me so I filled it with the bike tie downed in the truck. A guy inside yelled on the intercom to stop, guy by me said keep going. So not sure the rule on that one but don't believe that's a big deal anyway.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Fishmonger

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

when we first moved here, I wanted to pump my own gas. Now i find it a great way to relax, clean the truck's cab, or check my phone, etc. Its really nice to have someone else pumping gas when its windy, cold, and raining. Crack the window, hand them your card, and stay warm inside.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty idiotic to think that we're smart enough to drive, but not pump our own gas. If I feel the need, I drive up to Washington. I moved to Oregon 25 years ago from Minnesota and will never leave; it's not perfect, but it's awfully good.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:53 PM

I don't know but it seems like the idiots from Portland are running the asylum in Oregon. It seems to be pretty Left leaning and headed more that way all the time.
Lance 2548 (06-09-2019)
Old 01-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Fishmonger

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by IAJack
I don't know but it seems like the idiots from Portland are running the asylum in Oregon. It seems to be pretty Left leaning and headed more that way all the time.

Not saying your comment is completely without merit, but wouldn't it seem ridiculous if I shared my political opinions about Iowa on a truck forum since I live elsewhere?
Rossi158 (04-01-2021)
Old 01-31-2017, 08:50 PM

Humm, maybe that is why there are regional forums here...to discuss regional things. The post topic was asking about life in Oregon and politics is germane to the discussion. If you don't like the topic or the post them move on...no one is forcing you to read it or comment if you think it is ridiculous.

When I visited Portland it seemed to be going the way of Colorado..too many damn potheads and libtrards.

Last edited by IAJack; 01-31-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Left in the valley, right everywhere else and pot is statewide. Oregon's a big state and there's room for everybody. Except folks who want to pump their own gas. LOL
Old 02-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Army Signals retired

Received 220 Likes on 190 Posts

Didn't think that not pumping your owe gas was still out there, meaning the gas attendants (full service type). Last time I saw that up here was in the 80's. When the gas is being pumped, do they at least wash your windows?

Quick Reply: Tell me about living in Oregon - whats up with pumping gas?