Southwest AZ, CA, HI, NM, NV, UT

Review of Death Valley

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 04:33 PM
2010 FX4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Review of Death Valley

Death Valley, November 16-18, 2011

To sum up the trip in one word: awesome!

Day one: we arrived later than planned and camped at Stovepipe Wells. They have running water and a gas station. I brought extra fuel and about 30 gallons of water because I was not expecting to camp at a nice campground. It's $12 a night, and gas was $4.37 per gallon. Our first trail was Marble Canyon. It was horrible. The road was very bumpy, and overall boring. Don't go to Marble Canyon.

Day 2: we drove to the Nevada border where the Titus Canyon entrance is. It is a one-way trail. You can do the whole thing in 2wd unless the rain messes up the road. This was the most beautiful place I have ever been. Totally amazing. After that we went to Darwin Falls. We didn't actually go to the waterfall, but we drove around those trails for a few hours. I had to actually use 4wd here, and it was pretty fun. There are several trails that branch off, more than what was on my map.

Day 3: We kept to the paved roads and saw Artists Palette, Golden Canyon, and Badwater Basin. All very beautiful. To get home we took Harry Wade Road. It was very beautiful and once again we did the whoel trail in 2wd. I aired down the tires for comfort and in case we hit some soft sand. The road was washed out in some places, but not bad enough for 4wd. We took that trail all the way to highway 127.

Unfortunately, that was all we had time for. I regret not making the trip much longer. I posted three pictures of Titus Canyon and one picture of Harry Wade Road. Next trip we will do Goler and Hidden Valley. We will also repeat Titus Canyon. I hear there are wild donkeys, but the only thing we saw was a kangaroo rat. I purchased a map for about $8, but ended up using the free map because it is pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails Review of Death Valley-sdc15015.jpg   Review of Death Valley-sdc15023.jpg   Review of Death Valley-sdc15037.jpg   Review of Death Valley-sdc15065.jpg   Review of Death Valley-sdc15122.jpg  

Old 12-01-2011, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome, looks fun!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like fun! This is the time of year for a DV trip Maybe the boys and I will hit the links next month!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet....

Quick Reply: Review of Death Valley