Topic Sponsor
Southwest AZ, CA, HI, NM, NV, UT

Buying a home in AZ - ?'s on Santa Fe Style Construction

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

Default Buying a home in AZ - ?'s on Santa Fe Style Construction

My wife and I will be moving to AZ here in a few weeks. After we get settled in out new jobs we will be looking to purchase a home.

In looking on Zillow I really like the "Santa Fe" SW style homes. These just seem to have a lot of character to match the culture and area and they are completely different that anything in the Midwest. I understand that the modern ones are built using mostly modern techniques and materials like foam forms and accents and have sprayed textures. They are also typically priced higher than a conventional stick built home.

Is there anything to be aware of or watch out for with these types of homes as far as maintenance, upkeep or repair? Are the flat roofs a problem, or cracks in the walls, termites or just how well they hold up? Here in the midwest everything is pretty typical stick frame construction and general maintenance is pretty straight forward including painting every so often, and re-roofing every 30 or so years. I am pretty much a do-it-yourself kinda person and there isn't much I won't tackle unless it involves heights.

Thanks for any and all info.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

Stucco will be new for you.