Topic Sponsor
Texas Don't mess with us!

Need Help Picking a New Truck in TX

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help Picking a New Truck in TX

Hi all,

I'm new here and I'm just getting started going through all the threads. I'm real glad I found this site!!!

I am about to purchase my next truck and have been struggling on what to choose. I'm not rich but I cant afford to pick the wrong truck for what I need it to do.

I'm a ham radio operator and from time to time I need to carry a communications shelter in the way you see it in the picture. Fully loaded it should weigh around 2k lb give or take a few lb's. I will not have it permanently mounted and will only carry it on exercises, camping trips and deployments with my radio group for emergency communication needs. I will also pull a small trailer.

I have seen demos of F150's hauling up to 3000lb and if that is true this shelter should be no problem. These pictures are of the shelter and how others carry theirs on 3/4 and 1 ton pickups.

I have been struggling between choosing the F250 vs the F150 and I am realizing I know so little even though I have owned 150s most my life when it comes to carrying heavy loads.

Its hard for me to sacrifice gas mileage since this truck will take me to work every day and the gas mileage is important. Of course everyone around me says go 250 Diesel but I just cant seem to justify it and the extra expense in diesel and maintenance as well as base price of the vehicle is leading me towards the F150.

I am reading threads but I need to make sure I get to the basics of hauling heavy loads so I need advice on Engines. I'm leaning V8.

Suspension advice and I'm looking into the Torklift International product and not air bags.

I'm not sure if I need a 4x2 or 4x4. Again trying to keep things as simple as possible. If I don't need it I don't want it. However would a 4x4 have a stronger suspension and drive train?

Oil and transmission coolers, will I need them?

I need tire advice on D or E series. I'm concerned the 10 ply will not be good for gas mileage when running empty and commuting to work every day. I just don't want to take a chance with stock tires with a heavy load.

So here is my thoughts as I start looking for my truck. I need to have this truck by September as I'm leaving for New York to pick up my shelter so if anyone in TX knows of a good dealer and shops to help me make a good design it would be so appreciated!!!

I'm not trying to impress anyone with how pretty the truck looks but more on how much common since went into my design. Here is what I think I need to find.

2013 or newer F-150 XLT or better.
Super Cab
Longbed (8'ft)
V8 not the Ecoboost
Towing package

I'm sure if I keep looking into the various threads a lot of my questions have probably been answered. Any advice you all have would be most appreciated.

Last edited by Dan in The Colony TX; 03-31-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kind of surprised nobody has chimed in on this. I'll add my 2 cents worth.

If you are going to be hauling around that much weight in the bed of your truck I would be looking at trucks with the heavy duty payload package. A dead giveaway of this package is the 7lug wheels.

4x4 doesn't offer stronger suspension. it does allow for larger tires which will absorb shock better, downside to this is decreased MPG's. Both 2wd and 4wd are very capable at hauling and towing.

Oil, Transmission and power steering coolers will usually come standard on any truck equipped with a towing package.

E-load tires are an absolute must if you are going to have anything that heavy in the bed of your truck. The pros with E-loads are the tires are usually a tougher rubber compound that will last a good bit longer, they are designed with commercial use in mind and will take all the abuse you can throw at them. The cons are they are a physically heavier tire which means a slight decrease in mpg. They ride rougher (depending on what PSI you run in your tires). They are more expensive than P-rated tires.

I wouldn't be so biased against the ecoboost. The V8 is a great motor, (my truck has the 5.0) but the ecoboosts are some powerful little bastards. They can tow more than the 5.0's and will smoke the s#!t out of the tires . Now if you want that V8 growl... while being able tow a lot, look for a truck with a 6.2 V8.

Finding an Extended cab long bed with the heavy duty payload package with a 3.5 or a 6.2 is going to be a difficult search with few results.

My honest suggestion is quit looking at 1/2 ton trucks all together and go and get you a gas powered F-250. It is going to be able to do everything you are going to need it to do and it will do it with ease. More importantly, these trucks are plentiful so you'll have plenty to choose from. A brand new extended cab long bed F-250 with a gas engine can easily be had for the $33-45k range depending on what trim level you are looking for.

May not be the answer you were looking for, but hopefully it helps.

Last edited by Brian22; 04-22-2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Added some stuff.

Quick Reply: Need Help Picking a New Truck in TX