Topic Sponsor

Tailgate light bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 04:39 AM
Found On Road Dominating

Received 187 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Tailgate light bar

Realize there are some threads on this site about tailgate light bars however.....I'm interested in the experiences of fellow Canadian F150 owners. In particular those who live and drive in the messy salty winter conditions of eastern Canada. (Ottawa and east)
I have had 3 different tailgate light bars of which I haven't managed more then 1 full year from.
Has anyone here found a durable one that hasn't failed in these conditions.
I'll also add that I do park the truck in a heated moist garage in the winter but do go thru great effort and cost to keep it clean an free from salt.
In closing I will say that the Recon one failed due to corrosion right at the point where it enters the light itself. The second was a plasma glow fire and ice.... It failed due to corrosion in the same area. Finally I bought a Bully flexible 2 piece and mounted it on flexible magnetic strip and attached it to the lower tailgate itself. I did this in hopes of not using during the winter months. It too started to fail. The light strip had started to lift off its base. This actually was the 4th as the 1st Bully arrived DOA. Should have seen that as a sign.

Look fwd to hearing your comments and hopefully I can find another light bar for the tailgate.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:11 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Corrosion is a tough battle with parking in a heated garage, maybe throwing a de-humidifier in there wouldn't hurt? Take out some of the moisture content? (Just guessing here)

Only other thing would be that if you found a common area where failures occur, try something to seal it up, maybe silicone the crap out of it.

All else fails, retire and move to Florida.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Bully 1 piece held up well over last winter in Ontario. Now in Nova Scotia where they are paranoid to the point I'm convinced they don't plow, but fire so much salt on the road the snow has no other choice. So will see how this winter treats it.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

http://www.customdynamics.com/truck_led_light_bar.htm

Lifetime warranty.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a Recon White Lightning on my last truck for 5 winters. Only had 3 white LEDs die in that time and all the reds still worked when I traded the truck. I'm on the coast in eastern Canada.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:02 AM
Found On Road Dominating

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
seems like a decent light-bar however US only and like most LEDs are garenteed not wiring. Thanks for info though. I could get it in Maine if I really need too.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:23 PM

Received 71 Likes on 70 Posts

My Recon has seen 2 f150 and been going for 3 years
Attached Thumbnails Tailgate light bar-forumrunner_20150127_162220.jpg   Tailgate light bar-forumrunner_20150127_162243.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought tailgate bars from Amazon.ca for both my trucks

LED Glow-Don't see them on Amazon.ca now (I purchased in 2013)
Rampage Led, was cheaper and 4 function only- So far so good, its about two years.

Spray it lightly with anti rust spray from Rust Check or Krown every 2 weeks
Old 03-28-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Just reading this thread. I am sure the OP purchased a light bar by now...but for other readers, I live in PEI and bought a Putco tailgate bar two years ago. Been great, only issue is the inline fuse holder they come with didn't hold up to salt, and moisture in winter. Last winter, I had the shop put in an enclosed, heavy duty fuse holder, was less than $20 installed. Never an issue since. I've heard bad things about the cheap bars online, such as LED Glow and such, with letting moisture into the enclosure and failing. I bought mine right off the shelf at Action Trucks.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Originally Posted by tomasulo
Just reading this thread. I am sure the OP purchased a light bar by now...but for other readers, I live in PEI and bought a Putco tailgate bar two years ago. Been great, only issue is the inline fuse holder they come with didn't hold up to salt, and moisture in winter. Last winter, I had the shop put in an enclosed, heavy duty fuse holder, was less than $20 installed. Never an issue since. I've heard bad things about the cheap bars online, such as LED Glow and such, with letting moisture into the enclosure and failing. I bought mine right off the shelf at Action Trucks.
hey tomasulo. Good to here your still alive lol. As your aware I've got a new rig. Sure miss the Pale Adobe. That said am happy with the new update. I'll give that one a try however have read that a 4way tailgate light bar causes your rig to think you have a trailer attached.

Quick Reply: Tailgate light bar