Topic Sponsor

possible gasket seal or cracked head/

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default possible gasket seal or cracked head/

1998 v6 4.2L XLT

Recently I've noticed my coolant levels dropping quicker than normal, (I'm only replacing with water because of the cost involved in replacing coolant) and I am getting oil in my reservoir and water out the tail pipe, no water in the oil. However I'm down about a quart of oil from my last oil change. (about 5k, time to change it again anyhow.) I'm gonna tear the heads off this week and have a look. I'd just like some input from others. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

Classic signs of a head gasket leak. Hopefully, that's it and the head is not cracked or warped.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 77Ranger460
Classic signs of a head gasket leak. Hopefully, that's it and the head is not cracked or warped.
I'm a tool maker/machinist, so a warped head is the least of my worries, I can re machine that in 20 minutes ground to within. .0005" thanks for your input. I should also add that I replaced my intake gaskets (upper and lower) a couple years back. Just to eliminate that off everyone's mind. Thanks again!!
Old 07-02-2015, 08:18 AM

Now I know why they call it a "blown gasket" that bitch was mangled badly, no rubber on that thing and the 3 layers of steel were all separated. Unreal! Also, had 2 valves on driver side not getting any oil. No bent pushrods, but the rocker was extremely loose. I will pull the lifters and have a see.

Quick Reply: possible gasket seal or cracked head/