Topic Sponsor

Picking up my new truck next week, what are must do mods to start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Picking up my new truck next week, what are must do mods to start?

I'm picking up my 2014 FX4 appearance pkg 5.0L V8 in Oxford white.

What are some must do mods recommended for this truck? Already have the tonneau and will be getting the bedbug liner soon, remember I'm looking for MUST DO mods not WANT DO. For ex a cold air intake is a want a supposed to the grille that protects the inter cooler.

Any advice appreciated.

I was think of doing the following

Bed Rug liner, inter cooler grille, rear wheel well liners.....

**Well due to a missunderstanding and availability I've decided to go with the 5.0L V8

Last edited by SOUNDWAVE; 08-06-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: changed truck option.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:15 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

If you didnt get the oem rubber mats, get some! Or Weathertechs! And yes, the intercooler grill! Oh, and dealerships typically install swirls on the paintjob for free. Maybe claybar and wax it? Also, good quality leather conditioner - i use Wolfgang. For cleaning the alacantra, there is a thread on it already that includes a good writeup.

I assume that a tuner and exhaust are considered "wants"?
Old 08-03-2014, 06:46 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Meh, mods are pretty subjective depending on what you like and dislike. I'll never let anyone tell me what a "must do" and "want to do" mod is for my truck.

That being said, some of the first visual mods I do before the truck even leaves the lot after delivery and PDI is a shorty antennae, pop out the orange reflectors on the mirrors and replace them with a plain replacement blank from an XL ($17 a side from Ford, taxes in), and Weathertech's.

Another mod I usually do in the first week is getting the drivers side and passenger side windows tinted to match the back, clay bar, wash and wax with Zaino, and get it shot with Rust Check.

I'd also suggest investing in a dedicated set of snow tires on steel wheels, (you can save a few bucks by going to the 17" steel wheel and just manipulate your tire size to make sure the rolling diameter is unchanged ).

You'll recover the cost of the wheels in a couple of years by not paying to have them mounted and balanced twice a year.

Blizzaks or Michelin X Ice winters are both good snow tires, I've had both, currently got Blizzaks.

Hope that helps, congrats on the new ride, the wheel well liners are easy to install and look great, should have got them installed as part of the deal.

Last edited by SVT4MT; 08-03-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:27 PM

Thanks guys for the info and tips! Reason why I'm asking is I don't really know this truck well so I figured you guys who have some experience owning the F150 would be able to offer advice. The window tints lower grille cover and wheel liners are definitely at the top of my list then in the fall I'll look at winters and undercoating.

The interior/exterior detail is first.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 08-23-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a 2013 Screw recently. It's already got a leveling kit and I already put in a K&N rechargeable air filter, so I'll be picking away at other mods over the next couple years as money allows but...my list of must do mods in order of importance is:

- Weathertech floor mats
- Seat covers
- Remote start (Didn't come on my truck)
- Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires (maybe new rims too)
- Bug/rock deflector
- Upgrade headlights (my low beams are brighter than my highbeams. WTF?)
- Linex Bedliner
- Cold air intake
- Throttle body spacer (Some say they work, some say they don't. Nobody says they hurt, so for the price why not?)
- Flowmaster or Magnaflow exhaust (not so much for noise, but more to improve air flow)
- Head Rack headache rack, Top Mate and Back Mate
- Ridgid LED lighting rear facing on headache rack
- Grille guard
- Ridgid LED lighting on grille guard
- Stubby antenna. (Since this is so cheap, it might happen in the near future)

Last edited by Outbound; 08-23-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOUNDWAVE
I'm picking up my 2014 FX4 appearance pkg 5.0L V8 in Oxford white.

What are some must do mods recommended for this truck? Already have the tonneau and will be getting the bedbug liner soon, remember I'm looking for MUST DO mods not WANT DO. For ex a cold air intake is a want a supposed to the grille that protects the inter cooler.

Any advice appreciated.

I was think of doing the following

Bed Rug liner, inter cooler grille, rear wheel well liners.....

**Well due to a missunderstanding and availability I've decided to go with the 5.0L V8
Congrats on your truck...I too just pickup an F150 SuperCrew.
Cambridge doesn't have harsh winters like Montreal does, but you guys are getting there. If you don't have a remote starter...You must get one, and not from Speedy or Canadian Tire. Ford thought of this brilliant idea to help ford owner buy a remote starter that is plug and almost play. There are no wires to cut or splice. Simply plug it in and bring to your dealership and they with active the remote start.
There are 2 types, the short range that has the starter on the key or you can get the long range with a separate FOB. I went with the short range, 1) because I didn't want the bulky key chain and I also get two extra keys. 2) I also bought the remote starter app module so I can remotely start my car from virtually anywhere on the planet. I love gadgets so it was a must for me. The other remote starter is just in case I am out of Rogers network and need to start my car.
Kevin at Fairway Motors in Ohio is a great person to talk to about these things.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/11-thru-14-F-...item2a37aaf581

The price is right compared to the price in Canada and shipping is reasonable.

As for floor mats, do not buy the U-Guards 3D max. They changed the design but did not change the pictures. They no longer have the lip on the side to retain the water or slush, the water will drip down the side of your rocker panel and on to your carpets. I wanted to return them to Partsengine.ca but they wanted to charge me shipping and restocking.

Good luck with your new truck
Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 AM

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

...the first mods will be to your spending habits, due to that sudden drop in $$ in your bank account every month...!!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jimaa66
...the first mods will be to your spending habits, due to that sudden drop in $$ in your bank account every month...!!
Very true!

I'm surprised no one mentioned the door sil plates, I had many scratches on my old truck due to shoes (mainly my Wife's) scratching the painted area. Also 3M chip guard for the front bumper and surrounding, I've seen my Brothers truck and his bumper looks horrible.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

If you're a smoker window deflectors are a must. Rust protection and winter-capable tires are advisable in our climate. Most everything else is a want imo but I think the following are really helpful:

- DeeZee tailgate assist
- Clear bra to protect against stone chips
- If you park underground some sort of antenna protection (I had one break on a previous vehicle from smacking various objects near the ceiling).

Quick Reply: Picking up my new truck next week, what are must do mods to start?