Topic Sponsor

Best tonneau cover?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best tonneau cover?

What do you guys have? How do you like it, how does it handle snow load? Looking for something for my new FX4. Considering a Bakflip tri-fold.

Heard the roll n' locks bind, or get screwy with snow on them.

Thanx!

Semi
Old 08-29-2011, 03:32 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have a backflip loaded up with snow, how do you intend to use it?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:43 AM

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

I had the extang trifecta, it folded 2 times ( 3 panels) and it was good, no problems with snow or anything like that, removed easily and quickly, but I dodnt like the way it folded into 3rds and wanted one that rolls all the way back, so I got a extang revolution, I called autoanything.com, best way to get a deal through them! it list on there cite for $426, but my calling and being a existing customer it cost me $383.94 shipped ( free shipping too!) I expect it to be a good product, it comes with a lifetime frame/ tarp warranty witch is also a win!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the group buy currently in place for the Peragon.

https://www.f150forum.com/f7/peragon-truck-bed-cover-group-buy-108126-new-post/
Old 08-29-2011, 10:12 AM

Mostly going to need access to the back third- flip it up to load hockey bags- that's about it. Need to keep the bed snow-free, but also want to be able to open the thing during the winter.

I figured as long as that back third was swept it shoudn't be a problem. Might even take the thing off in the spring since we camp a lot, and the box will be full of bikes, luggage, coolers, etc.

Last edited by Semi; 08-29-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Retrax on mine. The first winter i had it, it would freeze up on me and was driving me insane. I shimmed the tailgate end and put some water dispersing grease on the lock and now its great.
I sweep the snow off and then give the centre a slap and it breaks up all the ice and compacted snow. Then I can just sweep that off. Obviously some days its just to caked with snow to do anything, but I think that will happen with any cover.
I plan on ordering a Peragon very shortly to put on my new truck.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm looking for one too.My first choice right now is the Access Lorado soft cover tonneau. Going to make a decision in the next few weeks.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

I just bought an extang solid fold. It's awesome I really like it. Only thing I don't like is the foam gaskets which they use on the parts that fold. Seems like they won't last. They should have included extra sets in the box. The seal for the tail gate kind of sucks but I suppose every tonneau would be like that.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by superccs
If you have a backflip loaded up with snow, how do you intend to use it?
Wouldn't any cover loaded with snow have the same problem

Anyhoo, I have BakFlip HD. Meets my needs so I like it. I like the idea of roll-ways but was worried about the risk of ice build up in the cannister during winter and freeze-thaw times. Also preferred the greater rigidity to a soft cover. Plus the BakFlip is low profile and looks good. Quite pricey, though
Old 11-30-2011, 09:59 PM

I have the Ford OEM (BakFlip F1) cover. I love it and would highly recommend to a friend. Pros: Sits flush, no locks or snaps on the outside making it pretty secure, folding system is very easy to operate, folds almost 100% out of the way, can easily remove it if totally nec., Strong, can still use it quite easily in winter (after clearing the snow off)

Cons: side rubber strips lightly freeze to the bed in winter (especially after a car wash), can't see out of the back when folded up.

No matter what, I would definitely buy one again with the next truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best tonneau cover?