Topic Sponsor

99 f150 4.6 tire size do i need regear ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 f150 4.6 tire size do i need regear ?

hey guys

new user I searched and couldn't find my year of truck or answer to my question but if it has been asked and I couldn't find it sorry I just bought a 99 F-150 xlt 4.6 4x4 with a lift and a level the tires on it currently are stock 265/70/16 I think they equal out to around 31.6 ? I wanna go with 33's I don't do much towing but when I do its for the farm with a small trailer and 1-2 cattle in it ... will I do any damage would I need to regear ?

thoughts opinons would be appreciated thanks
Old 01-20-2016, 09:14 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
First consideration is that your truck has a smaller motor. Secondly assuming your truck has 3.42 gears (just as an example ) up sizing your tires now has the same effect as reducing your gearing by x% Let's say 5-7%, so now, and I don't have my computer to get the proper #s, you now have the equivalent of 3.20 gearing. So now in effect your motor and drivetrain have to work that much harder to move the truck not to mention the added weight of the tire/wheel combo, which can also negatively affect your fuel mileage.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Norotso
Welcome to the forum.
First consideration is that your truck has a smaller motor. Secondly assuming your truck has 3.42 gears (just as an example ) up sizing your tires now has the same effect as reducing your gearing by x% Let's say 5-7%, so now, and I don't have my computer to get the proper #s, you now have the equivalent of 3.20 gearing. So now in effect your motor and drivetrain have to work that much harder to move the truck not to mention the added weight of the tire/wheel combo, which can also negatively affect your fuel mileage.
Its not so much fuel mileage as much as worrying about burning
The transmission out im gunna regear come july when i have the funds ... Just didnt know if the 1.5 or 2 inch in diameter difference would have a horrible outcome for the transmission in the like 6 or 12 months itll take for me to get the funds up depending on price so far best price ive gotten is 1000 to regear front and back ive got 2 kids and i rent my house so best possible out come is july ive already got the tires my buddy rolled his truck and got a car so he gave them to me with 80% tread for free

Quick Reply: 99 f150 4.6 tire size do i need regear ?