Topic Sponsor

2014 F150 Grille Paint Flaking Off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2014 F150 Grille Paint Flaking Off!!!

Recently I washed the truck at the coin wash, and was astonished to watch paint flakes come flying off of my grille when rinsing my grille...has this happened to anyone else (I was a reasonable distance away) - Ford of course calls it chipping and wont warranty it, the truck is 5 months old and I have already had the button that controls the sliding rear window break (they covered that) but now this ... very upset with Ford who I have backed for years, I cant believe they wont warranty this

Anyways, if it happened to you, please report it so they start to cover their shoddy paint jobs (they said only if it becomes a common thing will Ford look into warrantying this issue)... So mad right now

Oh and this happened in the summer when it was hot and no gravel on the road

Old 11-14-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

Sucks. Is it possible they actually are stone chips that just flaked off in the wash? At least it's just the grille and not body paint.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yah it sucks, but the front end takes a ton of abuse, I have to agree that it's wear and tear, no reason Ford should warranty it.

You throw bugs or sand/grit at the front end at speeds of 100 km/hr+ and it catches a flat surface the right way, get a small chip and then hit it with a high pressure jet of water and stuff like this will happen, no matter how good the paint is.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:14 AM

I know stone chips, all vehicles here get them in winter sooner or later, the truck had this happen in summer and my commute consists of burbs to downtown, havent taken it on the highway yet and no gravel on the streets - literally watched them flake off when spraying it down in the car wash - so i took a closer look and there were no indentations nothing, no marks anywhere

its commical when I mention it to my friend who has a dodge ram 1500 sport that he drives on the highway to get to the city to go to downtown, he has had his dodge for 10 months and not one paint flake or rock chip on his grille??? I hate dodge but he makes fun of my ford all the time for BS like this -- 2 months into the truck and the rear sliding window switch went - they warrantied it but wtf? never have I out warrantied a Dodge before

could it not also be possible this was a bad paint job, as mentioned this happened 3 months after i bought the brand new truck in a car wash - i know all about stone chips and stone chips dont differnetiate between grille and hood/bumper etc. paint everywhere is prestine. I agree the front end of a vehicle takes a ton of abuse, but no abuse has been thrown at it and I must re-iterate that this is after 3 months, what will the truck look like in 10 years? Ford has always been good to me and I have always been a Ford advocate, but this is making me second guess my decision to go with this truck...love the truck but small stuff just gets to me

Lets say Ford puts out a batch a vehicles with bad paint on the grille, if everyone has your thinking (and Ford does) they assume wear and tear, but what if its actually not wear and tear - thats what I am getting at, I know mine is NOT wear and tear (believe me or not) so I am urging anyone else with this issue to come forward so that there is enough logged instances with Ford so that they actually deem it an issue with the paint, that is what I am trying to accomplish is to get anyone with the same issue I have to report it - Im not bashing, I'm just dissapointed

Last edited by whitie_bear; 11-21-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:25 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yah, I get it, no one likes spending that much cash on a truck and then seeing that sort of thing happen, I wasn't telling you to just suck it up and take it, by all means there might be an issue and this is a good place to start looking into it.

I had a 2011 Raptor, and shortly after delivery, I noticed a "clunk" every once and a while.

Started looking around on the forums and lo and behold, there were a number of other guys that had the same problem.

Turned out the was a driveshaft issue, and it got replaced for free under a Technical Service Bulletin.

Keep digging, and as far as your buddy with the Dodge, don't listen to anything he has to say, silly bugger bought a Ram, that shows poor judgement right out of the gate. lol
Old 11-22-2014, 07:43 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

The upper bumper pad on my Silver 2013 started to get a very small flake in it. Ford not only fixed it under warranty they provided a rental while it was getting repaired.

Contact Crystal from Ford on her, I'm sure she can help you!

2014 F150 Grille Paint Flaking Off!!!-image-2272757439.jpg

Wayne
Old 01-15-2015, 03:23 PM

AHAAAAAAAAAAA successs!!!!

So i took the truck to the bodyshop and the appraiser pointed out paint bubbles on my grille and told me to send in a picture of those, so i appealed the decision not to cover my grille and sent the high quality photos and they have agreed to warranty it!

I knew Ford would'nt leave me high and dry and would stand behind their product...just a horrible picture that the dealership originally took (probably with an iphone) and my SLR pic on a clean truck of the bubbles definitely cleared things up

Just wanted to share that Ford will be warrantying this for me (hasn't done it yet, but said they will)!

Still a proud Ford owner and pleased this is settled

Quick Reply: 2014 F150 Grille Paint Flaking Off!!!