Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Yukon 4.56 Gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:09 PM
Black & Chrome

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Yukon 4.56 Gears

Looking for some help here. I'm trying to get the parts for my gear change and it looks as though there is a shortage on the front Yukon 4.56R ring and pinion. My first choice is diffsonly.com, but they are out of stock on these currently. From a quick google search, I found other sites out as well and one that said estimated delivery date isn't until July 2014. Anyone have some knowledge on where I can pick up the front ring and pinion? I'm only looking for Yukon's. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

i picked up some from a buddy local when i did mine a few years ago. he can usually get stuff pretty quick and prices are reasonable. you can give him a try!

ask for jeff
Toll free – 1-877-663-9374
Email info@ptcinc.ca

website - http://www.ptcinc.ca/home.html
Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 PM
Black & Chrome

Also I'd like to have opinions on what people have changed when they swap gears. I've had varying opinions from local shops:

1) Just swap ring and opinions
2) Front/rear ring and pinions and rear master install kit
3) Front/rear ring and pinions and front/rear master install kit
4) Front/rear ring and pinions, front/rear master install kit, and rear clutch kit

I want to do it right the first time but I also don't want to buy unnecessary parts that I don't need. I'm at 98k on the odometer.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

are you going to do it yourself or have someone do it? I'm not sure how quickly these parts wear out but it's certianly a pricey thing to re-gear so IMO the more you replace the more you don't have to worry about... the shop (they actually are specifically an axle shop and generally make custom axles for race and off road applications) doing mine asked me if I just wanted to do the ring and pinion or include new bearings. I told him to replace what he thinks should be replaced and he quote me $1000 for front and rear (parts and labor) if everything looks good and it could climb to around $1500 if the other parts don't look good. which is still 1300 cheaper than ford quoted me.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Black & Chrome

I will be having a shop do the work. This is much too involved for a weekend mechanic like myself. I've done a lot of research on the subject, online and with local shops who work on diffs, and my last post lists some of the recommended parts to buy. I can get all the parts for about $950 (less if I don't buy everything on the list), but I just want to make sure that I actually need them. But one of the issues I'm having is that Diffs Only doesn't have the Yukon front ring/pinion in stock and it looks like it may be a widespread backorder on these. I'm hesitant to buy these parts from Ebay and I need some other options, although if I go with someone other than Diffs Only, the price will be about $100 higher for the front ring/pinion. I've gotten 2 local estimates on labor, one for "book time" of $816, and the other was for $300. Both shops are knowledgeable about this subject and have many gear changes under their belts.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

i've seen mixed reviews on Yukon (never seen a middle of the road opinion all either love or hate them)... i've never heard anything bad about richmond or ford racing but like you said they are more $$
Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Yukon is good. All big name gears are good. If you are going to go through the hassel of a gear change, Do it all.

Have a shop do the work that will back there work. Its no cake walk installing gears, that will stand up to daily driving everyday.

Anyone with a little research can install the gears and they will last a few months. But making them last years, Is where it gets precise.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bonez
Also I'd like to have opinions on what people have changed when they swap gears. I've had varying opinions from local shops:

1) Just swap ring and opinions
2) Front/rear ring and pinions and rear master install kit
3) Front/rear ring and pinions and front/rear master install kit
4) Front/rear ring and pinions, front/rear master install kit, and rear clutch kit

I want to do it right the first time but I also don't want to buy unnecessary parts that I don't need. I'm at 98k on the odometer.
Do it all at the same time. You only want to be in there once. When I did mine, at 135k my rear clutches were still good so I did not mess with them. That's something you can check once you pull the rear gears.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 AM
Black & Chrome

Originally Posted by barjrob1972
Do it all at the same time. You only want to be in there once. When I did mine, at 135k my rear clutches were still good so I did not mess with them. That's something you can check once you pull the rear gears.
I'm leaning towards both sets of ring/pinions and master install kits. The clutch kit is still up in the air, but I'm buying the parts from 2000 miles away, so it's either hope the clutches are still good and don't buy it, or have to try and find something local if they need replaced. I like having what I need on hand when I'm ready to do something. I've only had 1 person recommend getting those to install without having looked at it first.

Quick Reply: Yukon 4.56 Gears