Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

You are not going to believe this........

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You are not going to believe this........

So after I got my plugs replaced by a local dealership here in Virginia Beach all of the hesitation problems I was having were history.

The gist was that I always had a dead spot around 50mph.....but over a couple years the problem went from hesitation to actual bucking. Got the plugs replaced and everything was good.

I had also asked them to check for any misfires or bad coil packs, they told me everything was good.

Two days later I felt a slight hesitation and had Auto Zone scan my truck (My Edge wasn't throwing a code) for any misfires.....yup, #4. Replaced that coil pack and everything was perfect again.

...........that all happened last September.

About a month later I started hearing a ticking sound. Searched this forum and all everyone was saying was VCT. I assumed it was my manifold leaking as I think everyone is just VCT crazy........lol.

Here's the sound:

Well, the Navy decided to send me to California for school.......I left last February. Drove from Virginia Beach to San Diego with zero issues. The ticking sound gradually got louder and louder, but no drivability issues.

Then I got orders back to Virginia Beach.....so I drove my truck back here. I've been here for only a couple weeks now and last night I got HUGE hesitation/bucking while issues driving home after dropping my daughter off.

Luckily my best friend knows a Ford tech so he came over tonight with his scan tool and laptop. Low and behold misfire in cylinder #4. He asked me how much I spent on the coil pack when I replaced it, 45 bucks. He said to buy the expensive ones next time.......he brought a new one with him.

Replaced it and still had a misfire in #4.

So he wanted to pull the plug...........and when he did? He told me it was hand loose.

We started up the truck and he put his finger over the hole; the ticking sound went away.

I went to Advance, bought a new plug and we replaced it.

Here's what it looked like:

After replacing it? No misfire.......no ticking sound.

Here's the poof:

So, if your truck is ticking? Check your plugs..........

Cliff Notes:

Ford dealership screwed me replacing plugs
My truck made it from Virginia Beach to San Diego and back on a loose plug
The ticking sound that has been freaking me out for a year was the plug being loose

Last edited by sargeek1975; 09-24-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You are wrong, I believe every word of it I also believe you are a lucky man. Good to hear you have the truck running great again. I'm suprised you had any threads left in the head.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 PM
JNelson

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Had the exact same thing happen to me except on cylinder 2. Brought it back to the dealership that did the work and they checked all 8 and replaced the boot. I wasn't to happy about it but they stood behind their work almost a year after they did it.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lariat05.4
Had the exact same thing happen to me except on cylinder 2. Brought it back to the dealership that did the work and they checked all 8 and replaced the boot. I wasn't to happy about it but they stood behind their work almost a year after they did it.

I was going to do the same......go back tomorrow and bitch (as all the work was already done, thinking maybe I could get a free coil on or something), but the dealership I went to is out of business............lol

Imagine that!

Quick Reply: You are not going to believe this........