Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Y'all with non-stock tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Y'all with non-stock tires

What do you have and how do perform in the rain?

I had a '02 Lightning before my King Ranch, and that thing wasn't very good when the roads started to flood. The King Ranch was a pretty big improvement with all-terrain tires. However, I was drivin' into work today and it's been rainin' for a good while and the roads are startin' to flood, and tires didn't make me feel very confident on the road. I know there's gotta be an all-terrain tire that's better than these stock tires.

Right now, I have Nitto Trail Grapplers at the top of my list when it comes time to replace the tires. I read they do better than the stock tires in pretty much anything.

I don't plan on goin' muddin'. We do get decent amounts of rain from time-to-time. Not much snow, but we get a bit every now-and-then. And I do get off the pavement every once in a while.

Just wonderin' what y'all are runnin', and I'm especially curious about how they perform in the rain, since that's the adverse condition I encounter most often.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:10 PM
NashBulldawg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go look at the Goodyear DuraTracs. I just put them on my stock 20's (which you probably have with your KR) in a 305/55/20. Great tires that will not clog up with mud like the Terra Grapplers, great highway manors. Pic attached.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2010, 01:11 PM
NashBulldawg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and to answer your original question they are great in the rain....Been pouring here for 2 days never had a problem.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not going to be spending anytime off the road you should not really need all terrain tires. I had had bfg all terrains on my 2wd f150 and they werent that great in the rain. But I switched to some cheap all weather tires that my uncle gave me and the difference is night and day. Due the 2wd my back end would spin out all the time around turns with the all terrains but with the all weather tires I havent spun out once.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Nashbulldawg, those tires look pretty good. I'll look into them.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by BigRedXlt
If you are not going to be spending anytime off the road you should not really need all terrain tires. I had had bfg all terrains on my 2wd f150 and they werent that great in the rain. But I switched to some cheap all weather tires that my uncle gave me and the difference is night and day. Due the 2wd my back end would spin out all the time around turns with the all terrains but with the all weather tires I havent spun out once.
I'll be stickin' with some sort of all-terrain. I take my truck huntin', and a couple of the shootin' ranges I go to are off the pavement. Plus, I really like the looks. Somethin' just wouldn't be right about a King Ranch with regular tires. lol
Old 02-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Always better w/ a truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the DURA TRACS! Haha, I had BFG AT KOs before. I loved those too and they had a great tread life. The Dura Tracs are a little more aggreisive but DO have a better rain/snow rating.
Attached Thumbnails Y'all with non-stock tires-img_8797.jpg   Y'all with non-stock tires-img_8798.jpg  
Old 02-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nitto TeraGrapplers here, great rain/snow tire.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

I run Cooper Discoverer S/T's and they perform great in the rain. I have not had any snow here so...
Old 02-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Veni, Vidi, Dimitti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's on my truck. So far they've been great in the rain (and I live in Seattle). I've not had a chance to drive on them in the snow yet.

I had a set of BFG MT KM2s on there for about 2 weeks. In misty rain we get here they were like being on ice skates.

Quick Reply: Y'all with non-stock tires