Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

xlt to fx4 cluster, what years?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 PM

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Default xlt to fx4 cluster, what years?

I've got an 04 xlt that I'm wanting to swap to the fx4 cluster. II've heard only certain build dates are able to be used for certain years. My build date is 8/04 can I use any after the 4/04 build date all the way to 08?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:51 PM

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

All of the 04-08 year models are interchangeable, so I don't see why it would matter. If you're looking for one, I have one for sale in the classified section that actually came from an 04.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Swapped the fx4 cluster in with no problems and everything works as it should. Just for further verification for anyone looking to do the same. Sdatrlp23 is correct, thanks for your help!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Is mileage stored in the clusters or is it in the ECU? One should be able to take any cluster from any year and trim level, put it in their truck, and it'll work?

I don't really like the look of the plain black STX cluster in my truck is why I'm asking.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by ophidia
Is mileage stored in the clusters or is it in the ECU? One should be able to take any cluster from any year and trim level, put it in their truck, and it'll work?

I don't really like the look of the plain black STX cluster in my truck is why I'm asking.
The mileage is stored in the cluster, I happen to find one that was about 600 miles off. The lariats are different but all the rest are simply plug and play. I know 100% that my xlt to the fx4 was.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Your before pic is the same cluster I have. I guess I'll start looking for an FX4 cluster. Looks sharp.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:47 AM

Thanks,I found that one on eBay for 78 bucks shipped. I've been looking for quite a while but this was the cheapest by far.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by screw4us

The mileage is stored in the cluster, I happen to find one that was about 600 miles off. The lariats are different but all the rest are simply plug and play. I know 100% that my xlt to the fx4 was.
The fx4 cluster looks so much better!!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking for some clarification here. I have an xlt. Id love to have a lariat cluster but hear its a lot of headache but I'd still even like to eventually swap in a fx4 cluster. But I wanted to clear up if there was any compatibility issues. I know on some dodge rams you have to buy a cluster from the same year and model and if you have power locks and windows and an automatic transmission than the cluster you put in also has to have came from a truck with those options.

I was just curious if ford did things this way as well ?. I have an 05 xlt Screw 5.4,4x4,auto. What fx4 cluster should I be looking for?.

Also I have heard from some people that if the mileage is different on the new cluster from what your actual truck has that it will need programmed..... But from what I have been reading.... Ford will not program a cluster for your truck if it's out of a model that is different (fx4 cluster in an xlt truck). Is this true...or?.

Thanks for any info in advance guys.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 PM

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusterdude72
Looking for some clarification here. I have an xlt. Id love to have a lariat cluster but hear its a lot of headache but I'd still even like to eventually swap in a fx4 cluster. But I wanted to clear up if there was any compatibility issues. I know on some dodge rams you have to buy a cluster from the same year and model and if you have power locks and windows and an automatic transmission than the cluster you put in also has to have came from a truck with those options.

I was just curious if ford did things this way as well ?. I have an 05 xlt Screw 5.4,4x4,auto. What fx4 cluster should I be looking for?.

Also I have heard from some people that if the mileage is different on the new cluster from what your actual truck has that it will need programmed..... But from what I have been reading.... Ford will not program a cluster for your truck if it's out of a model that is different (fx4 cluster in an xlt truck). Is this true...or?.

Thanks for any info in advance guys.
Your best bet would be looking for a cluster from the same year model as yours or a 2004. I read just earlier today that there is at least one difference with the 2006-2008 model clusters. I believe it had to do with TPMS and shouldn't affect yours. The 06-08 guys would need to be the ones being careful of what they buy.

As far as mileage, you'll want to find one that's close to yours (hopefully less) and switch them out when they're exactly the same.
A dealer CAN reflash your truck for a new cluster, but probably 99% of them won't. Or it'll cost you more than the cluster itself did. Only way they really do this is if you buy a brand new cluster from the dealer and they program it.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: xlt to fx4 cluster, what years?