Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

X-Mas Gift- Remote start.. any1 put 1 in??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Union Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Mas Gift- Remote start.. any1 put 1 in??

Hey guys, my girl friend bought me a ready remote start it was around 100 bucks, just curious if any 1 has put 1 in b4 on the 04-08 f150s? anything i should be aware of? any module bypasses or anti theft things i have to avoid? im debating on returning it and letting the pros handle it, but im very mechanicaLLY inclined i do all my own work, i just hurd this is a bear beacause of the wiring and such any advice?? thanks!!
Old 12-26-2008, 02:09 PM

Hey I just bought an Advent remote start and I am getting it put in on monday. I will let you know how I like it.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:47 PM

Please share your experiences... I just purchased an Audiovox remote start with keyless entry and security. It should be here in about 10 days. I too have heard what a PITA these are to install. I don't want to have to pay a couple hundred bucks to get it done.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:47 AM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffdiedrich
Hey guys, my girl friend bought me a ready remote start it was around 100 bucks, just curious if any 1 has put 1 in b4 on the 04-08 f150s? anything i should be aware of? any module bypasses or anti theft things i have to avoid? im debating on returning it and letting the pros handle it, but im very mechanicaLLY inclined i do all my own work, i just hurd this is a bear beacause of the wiring and such any advice?? thanks!!
Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Please share your experiences... I just purchased an Audiovox remote start with keyless entry and security. It should be here in about 10 days. I too have heard what a PITA these are to install. I don't want to have to pay a couple hundred bucks to get it done.

Hey guys,
Earlier this year I purchased and had professionally installed the Python 990 which is not just a remote starter, but also security system as well. It is by no means the cheapest thing on the market (I think I spent $650 out the door) but it was well worth. I am not electronically inclined AT ALL, so I wasn't even gonna think about trying something of this magnitude. As it is, the shop say that they do 1-2 week and the install still took them 6 hours to do.

IMHO it was totally worth the investment despite the high price tag (they were also offering 90 days, same as cash), and not to put anyone down, but I think that in the end you are gonna get what you pay for.

And lastly, to have a nice frigid truck ready and waiting for me on those hot summer days, or a toasty warm one on these frigid Midwest winters cant' be beat. And to have all of the ice and other winter debris melted off of the windows by the time that I get out so that I dont have to do any scraping is a luxury that I can't put into words, lol.

Good luck with what you choose, and let us know how things turn out!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Don & Donna's 2009 FX4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy New Year to all, We have a remote starter in our 07 f150 and I myself would have a shop install it, I have been told you can burn out the computer or other things if you just touch one wire to the wrong place. So for me its worth the extra money to have it done right than to burn something up and cost more later, Street Image her in Rapid City So. Dak. put mine in and also the one on the wifes car, we also bought them there and mine was right at 400.00 installed and no trouble yet and has been over a year, and only took a couple hours to do and didn't have to worry about screwing it up. Hope you get it done they are a wonderful thing.
PS DON'T FORGET TO TURN THE HEATER ON BEFORE YOU PARK FOR THE NIGHT, ITS COLD WHEN YOU GET IN IN THE MORNING.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that python is sick
Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 PM

You are going to need an additional part installed. Your key has a chip in it that the computer recognizes. No chip, no starting. The installers will install thes peice and then you should have no problems. That is the only thing I know aboutwith the fords. I installed one in a saturn and it was pretty simple once you have the wire color codes for the components like the door locks, ignition, and a/c controls. It helps to know where you can tie in to these things as well. My recommendation is to take it to a shop and have them install it. It will give you many years of happiness after that. It makes thing nice on cold days. You just have to remember to set up your a/c contols for the next day. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Shadow is correct, you are going to need a bypass for the remote start to actually work in your truck. I had a CompuStar 2WFMR alarm/remote start installed in my truck last year and absolutely love it. I paid $400 out there door for everything, but did get $50 taken off the price because the installers took longer to install it then what they originally told me it would take.

Do yourself a favor and if you have never tackled anything like this before don't make your own vehicle your guinea pig. Find someone that knows what they are doing and watch them do the install so that you may learn. The only problem you may encounter is finding a shop that will actually do the install. All the local shops around me at the time I had my system installed wouldn't do an install unless I purchased the system from them.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:40 AM

I own a shop and have installed hundreds of remote starters. I have seen what people have done from trying and the results usually aren't good. The rule of thumb I have for remote starters and security systems is if you have to ask how to do it, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Most of the soldering needed in our trucks is at the ignition switch, the wiring from the transponder, and at the factory keyless module behind the seat. And like mentioned before, you will need a bypass module, I recommend the xpresskit modules and the idatalink modules.

Here is the alarm/remote start that is in my truck
http://clifford.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=719
and here is the one that is going in the wife's new Honda once it becomes available

Last edited by toyz51; 01-03-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:56 PM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

no offense to any of you here, but i cannot believe how much is being paid for these units.... i have installed about 10 units now, for different types of vehicles.... for me to buy a unit, and any extra bypasses i need, i think the most i have spent of any vehicle is about 120.00. i personally love installing them, and wouldnt dream of paying that much for someone to install one.

that being said, if you have mechanical/electrical knowledge, you can put one in. you will get a wiring chart with the unit. a simple volt meter will help you in finding the right wires. sometimes, that is the hardest part...... for expample, you might be told that a wire your looking for is a specific color in the drivers kick panel, and when you look you find more than one which matches the color code..... it can get frustrating, but with a volt meter you can get it narrowed down. just be sure to solder all of your connections....the crimps are CRAP !!!

for your transponder bypass module, be sure to get one that will program like a spare key. this way you wont need to have a key under your dash just waiting for a thief to find it.

and, since you wont need the trunk pop button for a truck, you can hook up additional accessories to it.... in mine i can have all of my windows roll up when i puch my trunk pop button.

sure, it takes more time to install, but its a cool feature.

and lastly, specifically for the F150, i would recommend that you get a module which will maintain the stock features of perimiter lighting, driver door primary, etc. you have to solder a spare remote into it, and every time a lock/unlock signal is sent out from the remote starter, it sends it through the spare remote. this will keep all of the stock features working.

good luck with whatever you choose.

Quick Reply: X-Mas Gift- Remote start.. any1 put 1 in??