Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

"would you rather" cam phaser question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default "would you rather" cam phaser question

I have a 2005 super cab f150 lariat and my cam phasers make my truck sound like a diesel. My engine has 176k miles. I looked up the kit and its 800 bucks. I would try and tackle this myself as my co-worker just did the phasers in his 09 and its still running so he must have done something right. So he said he is willing to help me do mine.
I also was talking to another guy with a "hook up" and he said he can get me an engine with anywhere from 50-70k miles on it for 1500 and I know a guy who can throw it in my truck for 400.
So do I do the phasers for 800 and try to do the work myself or do I just gamble on an engine for 2000?
Any opinions will be greatly apprecited.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by peanutbutterlife
I have a 2005 super cab f150 lariat and my cam phasers make my truck sound like a diesel. My engine has 176k miles. I looked up the kit and its 800 bucks. I would try and tackle this myself as my co-worker just did the phasers in his 09 and its still running so he must have done something right. So he said he is willing to help me do mine.
I also was talking to another guy with a "hook up" and he said he can get me an engine with anywhere from 50-70k miles on it for 1500 and I know a guy who can throw it in my truck for 400.
So do I do the phasers for 800 and try to do the work myself or do I just gamble on an engine for 2000?
If nothing else is wrong with your current engine, why replace it? More to go wrong since you don't know the exact history. IMO it sounds like youre inviting more issues if you decide to do the swap.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:44 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I generally support repairing what you have but be aware that it may not be just the phasers. The timing chain tensioners are known to blow gaskets which causes chain slap. Chain slap eats up the plastic chain guides and the plastic clogs the oil pump screen. At 176K I would plan on phasers, tensioners, guides and dropping the pan to clean the screen. Personally I would probably install a new pump while I was in there. Assuming your engine is otherwise healthy, I still consider this the preferred course of action. Buying and installing a used engine is a real crap shoot and a lot of labor, especially if it turns out to be a lemon.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:12 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

You realize that the used engine you are considering will be due for its cam phasers to be replaced soon as well, right?
You know the health of your current engine; if this is its only issue, then I'd keep it and do the required repair.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

$800 for phasers is astronomically high.

You should be able to get the entire kit (phasers, timing chain, tensioners and guides) for that and I would recommend not doing just the phasers and tackling the entire kit. Many that only did phasers reported the noise returning not long after.

The issue, as I understand it, is more leaking seals in the timing chain tensioners causing lower pressure to the phasers which in turn causes premature failure of both the phasers and solenoids. You are very likely to find damage to the guides or tensioners if you open it up.

To answer your other question, I would never opt to go with a used engine if your's is just in need of some repairs. As noted by other posters you are gambling with a used engine, especially considering this is a common issue.
The following users liked this post:
peanutbutterlife (02-05-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
$800 for phasers is astronomically high.

You should be able to get the entire kit (phasers, timing chain, tensioners and guides) for that and I would recommend not doing just the phasers and tackling the entire kit. Many that only did phasers reported the noise returning not long after.

The issue, as I understand it, is more leaking seals in the timing chain tensioners causing lower pressure to the phasers which in turn causes premature failure of both the phasers and solenoids. You are very likely to find damage to the guides or tensioners if you open it up.

To answer your other question, I would never opt to go with a used engine if your's is just in need of some repairs. As noted by other posters you are gambling with a used engine, especially considering this is a common issue.
Good point about the price. But is the OP talking about buying Phasers or the Phaser lock out kit? I know the lock out kit is just under $800.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Monks

This guy is awesome!

Phaser noise explained :

Repair video:
Old 01-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Monks

Also,

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...-sound-141266/
Old 02-01-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont have internet so it takes me a minute to reply but I really appreciate all the input.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Camping enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

i dont have internet so it takes me a minute to reply but I really appreciate all the input.
Like everyone else said stick with you're current engine. If you don't do lock outs be sure to use Ford phasers only and do everything. If your mechanically inclined and have time it's really not that bad of a job. In my experience I'd rather do a timing job over spark plugs or a passenger side exhaust manifold. I broke 7 of 8 and the manifold is just a SOB.

Quick Reply: "would you rather" cam phaser question