Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

would you do electric fan addition to 2005 f150 5'4

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:52 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default would you do electric fan addition to 2005 f150 5'4

After rebuilding front of engine timing etc ,I can see it would be helpful to get clutch fan and shroud out of the way for good .
If I need to work on pulleys ,alt or water pump-- removing that fan is a pain .
It is worth the money and trouble?
The new trucks have it . I'm looking at the extreme ffd system on ebay with red dual fans . I live in fla and I do some occasional towing . At 380 bucks that's not too bad. I would probrably want a sensor in radiator hose also even though the ac is usually on in my truck so that wiring to fan clutch would keep the fans on most of the time .
I don't know about the quality of the controller they use and since its always hot here I know that's a killer of electronics .
I want a dependable system with warranty not concerned with gas mileage or show looks . Not too impressed with the open wires I see on some installs .
Old 06-02-2016, 10:57 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by redfishtd
After rebuilding front of engine timing etc ,I can see it would be helpful to get clutch fan and shroud out of the way for good .
If I need to work on pulleys ,alt or water pump-- removing that fan is a pain .
It is worth the money and trouble?
The new trucks have it . I'm looking at the extreme ffd system on ebay with red dual fans . I live in fla and I do some occasional towing . At 380 bucks that's not too bad. I would probrably want a sensor in radiator hose also even though the ac is usually on in my truck so that wiring to fan clutch would keep the fans on most of the time .
I don't know about the quality of the controller they use and since its always hot here I know that's a killer of electronics .
I want a dependable system with warranty not concerned with gas mileage or show looks . Not too impressed with the open wires I see on some installs .
^^^ Those are 110% junk. They are vastly over-rated chinglish crappola. Likewise the horrible so-called 'controller'. They claim ~6,000 cfm with only a 9 amp draw - which is flatly impossible. So they are, to be blunt - lying to you.

This is NOT an upgrade you want to save pennies on: no cooling, no workee.

You want OEM MC RF-269's and a high-quality, constant-temperature variable-speed controller to match. Either DCC or Painless F5's.

Several detailed build threads on this site fer the searchin'.

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 06-02-2016 at 11:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MGD:
dualfuel (06-02-2016), redfishtd (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 04:10 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default thanks mgd I'm going to do some more research

found RF252's on rock auto I guess they are dual numbered 269 . I would go with them and the painless F5's . I am worried I would have to change out alternator to a 200 amp . Don't know what that would cost .
I run air cond almost all the time in fla. so Both fans would run all the time . I don't know if there is some speed sensor tie in on the 2005 that would cutout the fans at cruise . Will have to brain storm this some more .
Found a video of modification to fans and mount , to mount these to my existing radiator without fan shroud .
Will also count my money for this big job . Still recovering from rebuild. Sure would be nice to get that area all opened up .
Old 06-08-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I am worried I would have to change out alternator to a 200 amp . Don't know what that would cost .
I've the conversion for over 2 years and never had to ump up the amp.

I don't know if there is some speed sensor tie in on the 2005 that would cutout the fans at cruise .
Yes, the Painless controller let you program the speed you want the fan to cut off, and my 05 has the VSS wire in the back of the radio, that is where I have it connected, I set my fan to cut out at 30 MPH.

Will also count my money for this big job . Still recovering from rebuild. Sure would be nice to get that area all opened up .
It's piece of mind, it costs me $500 but worth every penny. And yes I love all the room now. The shroud and fan used to be a PITA.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Only advantage I saw was the open space. After one electric fan failed, I went back to stock. Much quieter than the electric fans.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Taildragger
Only advantage I saw was the open space. After one electric fan failed, I went back to stock. Much quieter than the electric fans.
Not as much noisy as clutch fan during the morning cold start.

But be real. Electric fan is way to go, why do you think Ford is heading this way since 2009?
Old 06-08-2016, 09:34 PM

Agreed, a clutch fan is loud for a few moments. The electric fans were loud every time the AC cycled.
Plus, there is extra load on the alternator, that ain't free ya know.

Is Ford using 'brushless' technology in their electric fans? I can see how that would be more efficient that a clutched fan or traditional electric fans.

Last edited by Taildragger; 06-08-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:50 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I've been running the same used (purchased it used in 2006) Mark VIII 2 speed fan for 10 years now. The fan and its controller were first installed on my 2005 F-150, then switched to a Ranger, and then swapped to my current 2007 F-150. Same electric motor, different controllers.

I started with a DCC controller in the 2005, ran that setup for 3 years. Removed the setup from that truck when I sold it. I sold the DC controller to someone on this site, as I did not think I'd need the setup anymore. I then purchased a Ron Francis controller for use in the Ranger, and the same Mark VIII fan. That remained in the Ranger (my son still drives it) with a new fan. I took out the Mark VIII fan and installed it in my current 2007 F-150, and am now using Flex-O-Lites controller. Absolutely no issues with any of the controllers, other then long delays can be experienced with getting a DC controller, and if you email with complaints or concerns, it can/will make it worse. Use PayPal in case you have to file a dispute and request a refund. MGD, I respect your loyalty with Brian Baskin at dc control, but folks should be aware that there are many issues others have had with his customer service.

Whatever you do, use a controller! Never wire an e-fan to a battery or switch directly!

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 06-09-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Taildragger
Agreed, a clutch fan is loud for a few moments. The electric fans were loud every time the AC cycled.
Plus, there is extra load on the alternator, that ain't free ya know.

Is Ford using 'brushless' technology in their electric fans? I can see how that would be more efficient that a clutched fan or traditional electric fans.
I don't see an E fan drawing enough load on an alternator to be equivalent to the resistance of the OEM mechanical fan

Last edited by bbrad1775; 06-09-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:14 PM

The Flex a lite draws an average of 28 amps, maybe not the 17 hp claims it frees up but significant.
I been there, done that. Went back stock due to no noticeable advantages.

Now, if the manufactures were to adopt brushless technology, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushl...electric_motor
and only draw 1/4 or less of the amps of a conventional brushed motor the advantages would be very attractive. Maybe this is what the factory Ford is now.
We are talking about ten year old F-150s here, spend your money anyway you like.

Quick Reply: would you do electric fan addition to 2005 f150 5'4