Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Would you buy another Ford Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy another Ford Truck?

Hey everyone! First post here so go easy on me

For those of you that have had the dreaded motor issues (plugs, injectors, cam phasers, etc) would you buy another Ford truck in the future?
I have an 05 XLT with the 5.4 and I have not had the issues I've seen alot of on here but I do have the horrible/annoying ticking sound. I also have the clunk in the rear end when taking a corner slowly or sometimes at take-off. Because of these issues I don't know that I would by another Ford. These seem to be serious issues especially when you start talking Cam Phasers and a rear end. I know all manufacturers have their issues but these are pretty stout concerns and can get very expensive. I have 1 more year to pay on my truck and I'm debating trading it in before something serious goes wrong and I'm sitting at only 63000 miles.

I will be honest though, I LOVE this truck. I did have the IWE issue where my 4x4 would stay engaged and make the whining noise but that is the only thing I have put money into besides the usual maint. (brakes and oil changes). I know some have said they will not give Ford anymore of their business because of the issues the 04-08 models have had. I'm on the fence.

What would/will you do?

Last edited by flybub; 06-08-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Pitmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 07 screw 4X4 with the 5.4. Bought it at 82K and I've put 19K on it since I bought it and no major issues yet. (knock on wood) I don't know about other manufacturers but the truck I have seems pretty solid and is in great shape. I love it so far anyway. I will probably trade this in for another F-150 in a few years. What are you gonna buy a Chevy LOL! At least Ford didn't need a bailout.

PS My grandpa is 82 and has been driving Ford since almost all his life. He's not the kind of man who would continue to buy from the same company if he had quality concerns. He just traded his 09 F-150 for a '12. Just time for a new one for him.

Last edited by blyons200; 06-08-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 AM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't have the 5.4 3v so I don't have the early 5.4 3v issues. I have a 4.6.
I do wish my truck had the 6 speed transmission. I would buy a Ford again. My STX is pretty much stock. Rides more like a car than a truck, quiet. Assembled in Michigan. Something to be said for that.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I had two 04s. One with the 4.6 and the other with the 5.4. Regular maintnance on both only thing replaced on the 4.6 was the tranny(my fault it went out) and the 5.4 only the alternator both pretty good trucks. The 4.6 hittin 155XXX and the 5.4 at 127XXX. I would get another F150 no doubt
Old 06-08-2012, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blyons200
I have an 07 screw 4X4 with the 5.4. Bought it at 82K and I've put 19K on it since I bought it and no major issues yet. (knock on wood) I don't know about other manufacturers but the truck I have seems pretty solid and is in great shape. I love it so far anyway. I will probably trade this in for another F-150 in a few years. What are you gonna buy a Chevy LOL! At least Ford didn't need a bailout.

PS My grandpa is 82 and has been driving Ford since almost all his life. He's not the kind of man who would continue to buy from the same company if he had quality concerns. He just traded his 09 F-150 for a '12. Just time for a new one for him.
LOL, don't know that I would buy a Chevy. This Ford is my first truck (I'm 32) and I'm actually the first in my family to buy a Ford. My father, grandfather, and father in law have owned Chevy's for as long as I can remember. My brother in law just bought an 08 SuperDuty and it is an amazing piece of machinery!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:05 AM

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Ford, chevy, and dodge all make good trucks. i don't care what anyone says. you're always gonna have brand loyal guys that will argue till they are blue in the face that there's is better and others are nothing but crap. but if they didn't make good vehicles they wouldn't be around. I've seen them all go for 300000 miles and I've seen them all stuck. i buy a good deal as long as its got a v8 and 4x4 i will consider it. with todays technology they are all the same.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:06 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm on my 2nd F150, the 1st one was a 04 FX4 5.4 and my current is a 04XLT with the 4.6. The reason I got rid of the 5.4 is because all the "known" issues were starting to pop up and become issues after 110k miles. Yes, even with those issues I still came back because it's the best made truck on the market!

To be honest, I don't tow that much anymore so I don't really need the bigger 5.4 motor and this 4.6 feels just as powerful as my old truck.

I've had 2 Tacomas and people think they're bullet proof but it's just not as good as owning a F150. I know this is apples-to-oranges comparison, however the gas mileage on the 4.0 V6 Tacoma I had is not all the much better than a Ford V8, especially after lifting and slapping on 33" MT. Also, the Tacoma is not as sturdy towing or hauling. I think this might have to do with the fact the frame is not a stout ladder frame. Just my opinion...
Old 06-08-2012, 01:19 AM

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah i don't know why but i don't like Toyota, Nissan, or Honda trucks. but with that being said they can still be just as reliable and a ford, chevy, or dodge. and like i said no matter what there's always going to be people claiming their brand is the "best".
Old 06-08-2012, 01:34 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob.P93
Yeah i don't know why but i don't like Toyota, Nissan, or Honda trucks. but with that being said they can still be just as reliable and a ford, chevy, or dodge. and like i said no matter what there's always going to be people claiming their brand is the "best".
Agreed, I'm not brand loyal one bit. I've owned 2 Toyota Tacomas, Toy 4Runner, 2 Nissan Frontier and a Xterra, 2 Honda civic, a Acura RSX, Audi A4, F150s. I just buy what happens to be the bet value when I'm looking.

I honestly think every manufacturer makes a good truck, except Honda, that Ridgeline think is a joke. Chevy 5.3 motor is solid, hemi motor is solid, Titan motor is good too and Toyota also makes good motors. I just think F150 is the best overall package of motor, suspension, interior, exterior.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:34 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

(donning flame suit)

Never again.

The '04 I have is a replacement for a 2001 with major issues (first one had engine issues Ford couldn't fix, the last three months I had it it spent more time in the dealership than not)

2 trucks in a row that have been maintenance ******. This one has been through 3 axle seals, a pinion seal, bearings, ball joints, the brakes were crap from the factory, front brake calipers....

Nope. I'm keeping this one until it falls apart because it's paid for, but this is the last blue oval in the driveway unless I find a 1970s F-series for a toy.

Quick Reply: Would you buy another Ford Truck?