Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Is it worth it? Your opinion is appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 AM
Proud F150 Owner!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Is it worth it? Your opinion is appreciated

I have a 2005 XLT with 111K miles on it, never had one single thing go wrong with it, shows no signs of age, no rust, engine is pristine (with the exception of the faint cam phaser tick), washed and cleaned out every weekend, looks brand new and have gotten tons of compliments how people can't believe it's an 05. I was flirting with the idea of trading it in now while I can still get a decent trade in value for it, because from here on out the value will just decrease rapidly. I came to the conclusion that I can't swing the payments on a new one right now, nor can I find what I want in a used one. And with me most likely getting a company vehicle to drive to and from work soon, I would only be driving this nights and weekends. So I figure keep it, continue to take great care of it and it should last me a while.

So... Is it worth it to put roughly 6K into it, to re-gear, put a 6" lift on and get new tires and wheels? The re-gear needs to happen because it only has the 3.55's. The plan with the new truck if I would have gotten one would have been to do the same thing as far as lifting it. So I already have the truck to do it, but at its current age and mileage, is it worth it to do it?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:39 AM
VFL

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Worth every cent. If you're like me, then you LOVE this generation on the F-150.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

keep it and lift it
Old 02-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Proud F150 Owner!

Do you guys view it as being sensible and worth while considering the mileage and age?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM
VFL

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes as long as it is rust free
Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Sounds like you already recognize any money you put into this truck, you will never see again. So the question is, what else would you do with $6K? Invest it and earn more? Spend on something else anyway? If you're going to be spending it on something else and you enjoy your truck, then why not. If you're wondering if there is a better return of your discretionary dollars, then consider investing. You're only using this truck on nights/weekends, it's only going to continue depreciating and any money you put into it is for fun. Are there other fun things you would rather do with $6K (vacation, travel, buy other toys, etc? If not, go for it.

For what it's worth...
Old 02-02-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's a thought also, whatever wheels and tires you get... The 04-14s all have the same bolt pattern. Also the suspension is relatively close to the same so most of the components from the lift will transfer to a newer one. At least that's what the guy who put my lift on said, he transfers lifts to newer models all the time and said the kit for my 07 was identical to the 13 he did before that
Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by JDsFiddy
Sounds like you already recognize any money you put into this truck, you will never see again. So the question is, what else would you do with $6K? Invest it and earn more? Spend on something else anyway? If you're going to be spending it on something else and you enjoy your truck, then why not. If you're wondering if there is a better return of your discretionary dollars, then consider investing. You're only using this truck on nights/weekends, it's only going to continue depreciating and any money you put into it is for fun. Are there other fun things you would rather do with $6K (vacation, travel, buy other toys, etc? If not, go for it. For what it's worth...
I think the OP should invest into the truck if he's gonna keep it for sure.. Mods and maintenance.

IMHO:
Dropping money into stocks in today's market is going to be very risky.. If your already in, then that's good, cause your gains were phenomenal this last year. But honestly, the markets oversold, overvalued, and not functioning on fundamentals..AT ALL! If anything, nows the time to pare some gains because the markets due for some heavy losses IMHO.... Good general advice JD, but honestly, nows a lousy time to buy..IMO..
Old 02-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As long as you aren't harsh on it you don't have to regear. I'm running the 4.6 with 3.55 gears on my 35x13 mud tires and it's really not that bad and I'm getting about 12mpg.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Proud F150 Owner!

Originally Posted by Bigbucks243
As long as you aren't harsh on it you don't have to regear. I'm running the 4.6 with 3.55 gears on my 35x13 mud tires and it's really not that bad and I'm getting about 12mpg.
I don't know how I feel about that... It's not so much the fuel mileage I'd be worried about, but more so the wear and tear on the truck over time. All of the shops I've talked to have suggested that I do a gear swap, and not because they're looking to make an extra buck. If I'm looking to preserve the longevity of the truck I think it'd be wise to regear.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it? Your opinion is appreciated