Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Worth getting a warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Worth getting a warranty?

I haven't had any problems with my 06 yet,it has 64000 miles on it.
I can get a extended warranty 5yr/1000k through my credit union for about $1400,which seems pretty reasonable if I ever need major work don to the truck.

Just looking for some opinions on this. Below is a link to the warranty.

https://www.penfed.org/Route-66-Extended-Warranty/

Last edited by tnpnt1; 04-17-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 AM
Captain Stringer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought the extended warranty for my 04 when it had 68,000 miles back in 2012. The warranty covered my cam phaser work ($850) however it did not cover the plugs and coils which also caused damage to my truck ($1,400 total with replacing only 2 coils and plugs). My warranty runs out in about 250 miles and honestly, I'm not going to miss it lol.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:44 AM

Changed my plugs all ready.... Everyday I read through the posts on here,that is what makes me think a warranty is a good idea.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

I almost never buy an extended warranty but it's really a personal preference thing. Obviously those warranty companies know what to charge for them to make money which means the majority of the time, your repair costs in that time period will be significantly lower than the cost, but piece of mind is worth something... basically you're gambling, you're either betting the repair costs will exceed the cost of the warranty and the warranty company is betting it won't (and they have tons of data to suggest it won't) or you are betting the repair costs won't exceed the cost of a warranty like the warranty companies are betting (and again, they have tons of data to suggest your repair costs will be well under the cost of the warranty)
Old 04-17-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Everyone that calls to do work under my warranty is told there is no warranty on my truck. I had to take it back to the dealership I bought it from who then had to spend 3 hours on the phone confirming that there was a warranty just to get the work done on my truck. Three weeks later and nobody has replaced a single part because the warranty company won't approve the work.

I paid $2,000 for the warranty. There's only like $3,000 worth of work to do to my truck and it'll be perfect. I should have just ditched the warranty and done the damn work myself.

Totally not worth it in my personal opinion.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 PM

I'm thinking cam phasers down the road are inevitable......exhaust manifolds....tranny....etc. 5 years is a long time for anything to happen,seems like a lot of guys on here have spent well over the $1400 in repairs. That's what had me look into this in the first place.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by tnpnt1
I'm thinking cam phasers down the road are inevitable......exhaust manifolds....tranny....etc. 5 years is a long time for anything to happen,seems like a lot of guys on here have spent well over the $1400 in repairs. That's what had me look into this in the first place.

I'm not trying to talk you in to or out of buying the warranty. you hear about cam phasers, passenger manifold leaks, broken plugs,... all common problems for the 5.4l but what does common really mean? does it mean that most f150 owners will experience these problems or just that they are common failure points when there is a failure? I really don't know the answer to that to be honest.

on forums like this, people are coming here seeking advice for an issue they are having, or they are explaining how hard it was to fix this thing, or how expensive this thing was all the time, but the people that are problem free likely aren't posting their problem free experience anywhere near as often as the people experiancing issues. If i was to base my opinion on any vehicle based on any vehicle specific forum, I'd likely be convinced that I NEED a warranty because of how many people experiance this difficult/expensive problem. on the other hand these things can happen and you know the costs involved. so does spending $1400 on a warranty to cover you in case these things happen make you a lot more comfortable? If so, get it you can sleep well knowing that even if you were to have a catastrophic failure and have to replace the entire motor, you're covered. On the other hand, if you were playing the odds, chances are you would spend less than $1400 on repairs during that time period because that's how the warranty company makes money... the only other way they could make money is by denying claims constantly which would make it worthless anyways.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Id rather put the $ back instead of buying an extended warranty. Do you sometimes get burned at the tune of a few thousand? Maybe. But I have saved quite a bit more not buying the extended warranty and banking the $ than spending money on the warranty over time. I guess a warranty would be nice if you don't have any extra money to repair your truck. I'd rather have $ sitting in the bank wondering IF I will need it than being tied to a warranty that you may or may not use. If you don't use it you could have $1400 sitting in your savings account.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Also keep in mind that $1,400 is easily enough to push you into being upside down in your auto loan if you care about such things.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:03 AM

I was hesitant to buy a warranty through ford being it was close to 2k. However it paid for itself in one month between cam phasers and cracked exhaust manifold. Each of those alone is over $1k by itself. So needless to say its paid for itself.

Quick Reply: Worth getting a warranty?