Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Working on changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Working on changing spark plugs

Well I started working on changing my spark plugs. My plan is to do the passenger side bank first, so far I have the front 2 done. Both came out very easily! Hope they all do.

Also noticed one of the COP were not a motorcraft, what I did was swap it for one on the drivers side bank. I did this to see if that is part of the ticking sound coming from the passenger side.

Well got the 2 changed and decided to stop since its kinda cold out. Tried to start truck and nothing! I think the battery is dead! The battery was purchased from Advance auto, it has a 7/14 date on it but it was purchased by the car dealership I bought it from, you think Advance would exchange it for a new one?

Last edited by Cincinnati Guy; 11-01-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Congrats on starting the plugs, a lot of times, starting a job is the hardest part. Whats the deal with the battery, how long has this truck set or did you leave something on? I forgot my stereo blasting in my truck one night at about 8:00, jumped in a buddys car and left, came back home the next day at about 10:00 in the morning, stereo still on and truck still started. My advice, pull the battery and go to Advance and have them check it, you may get lucky and if its bad, they may swap it out. Good luck.
Tom
Old 11-01-2014, 08:45 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

They should swap it out. They scan the barcode on the battery and if it's within warranty, they'll swap it out no questions asked. If it's a lower end battery, they might upgrade if you pay the difference.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:46 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks to me like you're changing out new plugs.
The electrodes look like they have'nt seen that much spark and the plug looks like it has anti seize all over it. All 8 should come out without a fight.

look at those 2 plugs compared to mine.
Attached Thumbnails Working on changing spark plugs-img_0764.jpg  
Old 11-02-2014, 08:02 PM

I bought the spark plugs in hope that was the cause of the ticking sound on the passenger side. well its still there, even after moving the suspected bad COP to the other side. I hav some seafoam, I am going to attempt to look for an exhaust leak. Could it be something internal?

BTW the battery was dead, its a 650 CCA and 850 CA.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:04 PM

Lets hope I just figured it out!!! Got checking the spark plugs, still only have front 2 passenger side changed. Running out of daylight, may go get a flashlight to finish. the 3rd one back felt a little funny when I was loosening it up so I tightened it back up, went to the very back one and the darn spark plug was half way backed out! MAN LETS HOPE THAT IS WHAT IS CAUSING THIS ISSUE!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:38 PM

Well it still kind of is running rough but no loud tick like before. I noticed when I removed the 3rd one on the passenger side that it was covered in fuel. Is this possibly a bad COP not making it fire and run rough?
Old 11-02-2014, 11:41 PM

I am going to buy all 8 new COP's if that dont fix it its either a manifold or something internal. Im hoping its a COP thats bad since I had a spark plug with unburnt fuel on it.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:05 PM

I ordered 8 new Coil over Plugs off ebay from a place ive seen recommend on this forum. Got them all installed, truck runs a lot smoother now and does not have that knock.

Now I can hear the cam phaser/diesel sound I may try some heavier oil like ive seen many do here on this forum and see how it goes, if not since I have the power train warranty I may take it in before it expires.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:31 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Probably a broken exhaust stud. go to passenger side wheel well, Pull the plastic back beside the ac condenser. And take a peek. My back one was broke off. Id gladly mail you one xD

Mine was flush with the edge of the manifold

Quick Reply: Working on changing spark plugs