Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

at wits ends.. any input

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default at wits ends.. any input

After a long battle.. I now have.
New driver side phaser.
timing and components are in check.... by me.
New power steering pump and pulley and high pressure line.
New fuel injectors on driver side.

So now I'm getting a fn code for passenger phaser. And I can not find out why I'm misfirng on f aka number 6.

swap cop erased code drive it and back into limp mode all the way home. Swap spark plug. Drive it.. limp mode cylinder 6 again. No visual nicks in the line or burns.

I'm at wits ends on how the driver phaser was bad and not passenger. Replace driver again and passenger breaks. Plus wtf is causing this misfire that only happens when in gear. Not park or n but in reverse and drive.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will have to back probe the coil and check voltage to it. I had it happen on my truck where the rubber boot had come down and gotten jammed in the cop plug spreading the female pin causing a misfire when I did my plugs. Also if it's only when driving check the plug gap just because it is new does not mean it is good.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

It's not missing in park because the engine is not under load.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Are there any strange noises or anything? Have you checked or replaced the VCT solenoids? Did you clean the VCT solenoid housing when you replaced the phaser? Did you re - use any of the timing components? Did you install Dorman phasers?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Newfiedan
You will have to back probe the coil and check voltage to it. I had it happen on my truck where the rubber boot had come down and gotten jammed in the cop plug spreading the female pin causing a misfire when I did my plugs. Also if it's only when driving check the plug gap just because it is new does not mean it is good.
Sorry slow today.... back probe it? The orange boot did rip. I had to pull it out. It toe into sections.

Do you know what the voltage should be. I can check they with my multi meter reader
Old 07-14-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
Are there any strange noises or anything? Have you checked or replaced the VCT solenoids? Did you clean the VCT solenoid housing when you replaced the phaser? Did youre - use any of the timing components? Did you install Dorman phasers?
All this was replaced a couple months ago. Everything was replaced with new. The I had Dr phaser go out and I checked all timing component then and made sure it was in time. Only replaced the phaser. It was still under warranty. No noise expect dreaded phaser tick.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My truck had a consistent misfire on one cylinder. It had a bad cam follower that wore a groove in the cam lobe. It might not hurt to remove the valve cover and take a look.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:58 PM

All the timing components were changed about 2k miles ago along with new champ plugs and accel coil packs. Then the driver side phaser started the dreaded phaser tick. I had someone else change it all the first time.

So this time I changed the bad phaser so I could check everything he had done basically didn't trust him after this driver phaser went out. It all checked out good and new so I put it into time with new phaser..

now right before I tore into it to do the phaser replacement I got a hold of bad gas... which fouled out plugs. So I decided to do all new plugs to Motorcraft. Figured while I was doing everything why not do driver phaser. All new plugs and all driver side fuel injectors. Along with anything I find broke on the way.

This would be also why I had to replace power steering pump and pulley and high pressure line.

Now all on do an oil change with filter.. about 10 mins into idle in driveway I start getting passenger phaser tick. But it calmed down. This driving it around the block. Which threw the number 6 misfire and sent me into limp mode. Instantly swap cop around with sane results then spark plug same result. Found the rubber orange pieces into the sensor and cleaned it out. Same result...

sorry so long trying to do this all from phone do to storm fried computer. But I figured id give back history on situation.

P.s. now the power steering squeal at higher rpm.... so now have to figure that out as well.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by CobraJeff27
My truck had a consistent misfire on one cylinder. It had a bad cam follower that wore a groove in the cam lobe. It might not hurt to remove the valve cover and take a look.

The cam lobes are Ok. That's one of the things I checked while valve cover was off. All still nice and smooth.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:54 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Do you think there may be a some peices of the original chain guide blocking an oil passage? And as for the squeal, I have no idea.

Quick Reply: at wits ends.. any input