Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Wiring fog lights as "DRL"

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Wiring fog lights as "DRL"

I would like to wire my factory fog lights to be on whenever the vehicle is running. (2004 F150 with "auto" headlights and pull **** out to turn on fogs).

My tentative plan is to find whatever wire controls the fogs at the headlight switch, cut it and run it to a ignition-on circuit with switch for over-ride. Are there wiring diagrams online?

Also, where is a good place to find an ignition-on circuit, I want to hard wire my dash cam too.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-16-2017, 07:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Greetings HubFord, sorry I really can't help you on you questions. I just want to make sure you are permitted to bypass your foglight switch. I say this because I was pulled over by a state trooper for a " safety stop " and he had me turn on my headlights1, then my foglights, turn of my headlights1 and then my foglights... I ask why and he told me they had to be on a switch, independent operation. Just my 2 cents worth, I'm not a LEO, just remembering what I was told and don't want to see anyone get into trouble. Your State may be different also. Good luck.

Edited to remove auto hyperlinks...
Old 01-17-2017, 08:26 AM

Eagle - Thanks for the heads up, I would have a shut off switch, just power the lights any time the vehicle is running, can always shut them off.

Another reason for powering them separately, is that the dash lights dim making them hard to see during the day.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I wired the backlighting on my auxillary switch panel to the radio power circuit. Used a fuse tap, i forget which fuse. I dont know if this would help you but if you use a relay that is triggered off of that circuits your fogs would be on anytime the truck is on. They would stay on until you open the door just like the radio....atleast thats how my truck is.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by nnuzzo141
I wired the backlighting on my auxillary switch panel to the radio power circuit. Used a fuse tap, i forget which fuse. I dont know if this would help you but if you use a relay that is triggered off of that circuits your fogs would be on anytime the truck is on. They would stay on until you open the door just like the radio....atleast thats how my truck is.
That's a great idea, thanks!