Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Wireless rear camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 04:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Wireless rear camera

Has anyone tried one of the wireless versions of the backup cameras to connect with an aftermarket HU? I've seen the write ups of the cameras that can be installed by drilling hole in tailgate handle housing and those seem to be very effective and available everywhere on EBay. I've found same suppliers offering those with wireless transmitters rather than running wiring into cab and the concept is intriguing to consider on my truck and other vehicles I own. Anyone have experience with the wireless and care to share how well it works? I've searched but not finding anything yet. Thanks
Old 01-30-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Rob, running the wires on these trucks is absurdly easy. You won't have any issues, pretty much ever, with your backup camera if you run the wire.

However, if you're dead set on it:
Amazon.com : Esky® 2.4G Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver for Vehicle Backup Camera / Front Car Camera : Electronics Amazon.com : Esky® 2.4G Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver for Vehicle Backup Camera / Front Car Camera : Electronics

You have to do generally the same wiring, you just eliminate the single video run.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes that's the type I am seeing. I just wondered if anyone can share whether the transmitters work effectively.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:39 AM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I tried one on another project (trailer) and found there was a significant turn-on delay, the head unit would sometimes get confused and not show the screen (had to take it out of reverse, put it back in -- could have been the head, no idea) and interference either from bluetooth or wifi on cell phones in the truck just soured me on it.

FWIW, a buddy with an older Prevost has a wireless setup with a dedicated monitor, and its perfect. 4 cameras, the only way to back up a bus!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ROBinGa

I have a wireless backup camera setup on my F-150, and I can confirm dom07's experience.

I purchased my wireless setup from eBay for about $11-13 about a year ago. It works, but as dom07 said you have to wait about 0.5-1.0 second for the image to show up on the screen. Once the image is one the screen there is no delay (image is in real time). My setup was with a stand alone dedicated 5" screen, but I recently hooked it up to a new Pioneer head unit, with the same results. Also as dom07 mentioned, you get quite a lot of radio interference, which results in snow. Overall, the setup is usable and does the job. If you're in a hurry and want to get something working, or in my case didn't want to hard wire the camera in winter weather, go for it. But, as soon as the weather is nice, I'm going to hard wire mine (this tells you what I really think about it).

Furthermore, with my setup the color isn't that great (compared to a few rental cars I'd driven with factory cameras) and I don't know if its my camera or wireless setup. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to run the wires from the cab to the back WITHOUT drilling holes or cutting into existing grommets, or any other hardwiring tips, I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited by Nocturnal1; 01-31-2016 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Forgot something.

Quick Reply: Wireless rear camera