Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing

hey all kinda new to this forum, but wanted to ask a stupid question. I have just moved to North Dakota from Texas. My truck is an '05 F150 XLT supercrew 4x4 with a 4.6L, and I am concerned about the winter time up here seeing as it gets well below 0 degrees. I also own an '89 model Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer with a 5.8L and need to know what suggestions you guys have on winterizing these vehicles. I know that I can remix my anti-freeze mixture to a 70/30 which is good to -84 degrees, but what about changing my oil, or possibly getting a block heater, I have lived in cold areas before, but have never owned a vehicle in them b/c I was a little kid, so this cold weather is all new to me...snow chains, studs and things like that, like I said I don't know what I need to do...even a good remote start suggestion would be nice. All help is appreciative
Old 05-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Red 04 FX4 Screw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Antifreeze and your oil for sure. Might check to see what kind of battery you have as far as cranking amps. You'll want to watch your tire pressure more. Remote start would be a great idea (not sure of a brand though)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Proudly Canadian

Received 124 Likes on 113 Posts

Well, I have lived in Northern Alberta my whole life where the temperatures go down to -40 (celsius) quite often, and i never really change any fluids. Other than windshield washer fluid. However you are going to want to invest in a good set of winter tires. Studded tires should be more than enough but they arenn't exactly necessary. I would also invest in a good quality tow rope and a set of booster cables if you don't own any. And as for remote starters, i have a Pro Start. Its not super expensive and it has a pretty decent range (can't remember how far exactly)

EDIT: As for block heaters, don't all vehicles come equipped with them? I know that around here i have never seen a vehicle that didn't come with one.

Last edited by clpeller; 05-27-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:38 PM

Being from Alaska... and owning Ford's over the years... I'll just list some stuff of my own opinion that you may want to look further into. I won't do the leg work for you.

-thermostat
-battery/oil pan blankets
-you'll want to increase the lubricating schedule on stuff like differentials, transfer case... anything with a breather line. It gets cold, after many miles the diffs/whatever get warm.... and as they cool... you're sucking in moisture from the air... condensation. I've seen TTB front ends like your Bronco fulla milk and rust.
-No one talks about this, but esp. on the Bronco since it's older... Ford used a ton of rubber bushing all over. Motor mounts, (one if I remember) holding the entire drive train, shackle eyes, body mounts, etc.... use a lithium spray (lithium grease) and stay up with lubing all rubber in cold, dry climates. Helps prevent cracking, and you're thinking of owning the vehicle long term, it'll save you time and expense later
-The block heater is the age-old solution for pre-heating a vehicles engine. But, a "flow-heater" is MUCH better, and somewhat more spendy. I'm a flow heater fan...
-keep spare gloves (warm ones), hat, jacket in all vehicles at all times. A driving tip... if it's freezing outside... I wear all my winter gear, and keep the heater low... just enough to keep windows defrosted. My classmates dad ran off the road in a blizzard 3 miles from town... IN A BRONCO. It was tipped on the side and he was only minorly injured. But since he had no more car heat, wearing only a t-shirt he froze to death in 8 hours. He was found first thing in the morning.
-I am not a fan of studs or chains. #1 Hassle and the list goes on. A good set of well siped (siped, look that up) All-Terrains at a lower air-pressure is perfect for a heavy, full sized vehicle. Lighter cross-over suv's, cars, etc are "light" so they warrant more so studs.
-I believe as far as oil goes, if I remember correctly, Ford says for me to stick with a 5weight multi-vis oil year round, no matter the temps. Perhaps for the cam phasers or something... don't know. But I follow what they say, so I do nothing differently with my oil. I stick with MotorCraft Semi-Syn.
-examine your insurance policy. You may want to modify it a new type of driving. Fender benders here (assuming other wintry places) happen alot in snow and ice. something to think about.
-a tip, try to keep your tank from getting low near empty for extended periods of time... condensation condensation condensation.
-with each of your vehicles, when the snow flies, find a huge empty parking lot and start messing around. Find out what it feels like to break the tires loose in snow/ice... get the sense of seat of the pants force your vehicle is about to lose control. I think alot of people get into winter time accidents 'cause they assume the vehicle will handle like it did summertime.

Blah blah blah... I know.
Eski
Old 05-27-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

paint the frame/under side on both with por15 if it gets salty...
Old 05-27-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by jbhill
paint the frame/under side on both with por15 if it gets salty...
Good one... skipped my mind. I actually haven't done that. But I do frequent car washes in the winter because of salted roads.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ x2 the biggest thing is the salt make sure to keep the truck asclean as you can throughout the winter months and just before winter is coming make it a point to do a good coat of quality wax/ paint sealer to help protect everything i like to go to the drivethrew carwash alot durring the winter and get the wash that does the under carriage but dont go threw the brush wash just the high pressure drivethrew is what i whould reccomend as the brush wash tends to scratch your truck to hell!! and asfar as fluids i would just swap out the oil and washerfluid!! other than that iive never whent threw nor had problems with any other fluids in any of my vehicles before and it gets darn cold here in the northeast lol
Old 05-27-2009, 08:40 PM

It's a good idea to keep warm blankets and the little chemical heat pads that warm for a few hours in the truck. I keep water in my vehicle and this will let me melt the frozen water to drink in an emergency.

If you do end up stuck in snow make sure your exhaust is clear if you plan on running the engine for heat. Carbon monoxide is a killer.

You should keep tow chains and ****** straps. Don't use one for the job of the other. A hitch mounted shackle is nice to have to add as recovery point to the rear. I would also prefer recovering someone else from my hitch as opposed to the front tow hooks to keep the forces even across my frame.

A shovel is nice to clear yourself out. Kitty litter, sand, cardboard, and lots of other stuff can be thrown down to add some traction to snow when your tires get stuck.

Lots of fender benders happen so keep a disposable 35mm camera in your car. Don't count on a digital. You need a pencil, not a pen (they freeze), and some paper to take down or give info. Get a police report if you want a guarantee on your insurance claim getting paid.

Lock deicer can help you get in your vehicle if the lock cylinder freezes. Spray chemical ice melter can help if something on your truck ices over, like the windshield and doors. A couple inches of ice will take a long time to break off with just a scraper.

Good luck with the winter in North Dakota. I know all our bad Minnesota snow comes from your state towards ours so it must be ruff there . Have fun with it! Drive in 2wd and kick the back end out. Blast through deep snow in 4 low. Chuckle at the stuck imports. Pull a Chevy out of a ditch
Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Knuckles
Blast through deep snow in 4 low. Chuckle at the stuck imports. Pull a Chevy out of a ditch
lol ... nice
Old 05-28-2009, 01:44 AM

awesome tips guys i knew you all would be helpful and i appreciate the info, if i have anymore questions i'll shoot them your way....thanks a lot again and we will see how long this texas boy stays up north....heck bet i barely make it one winter

Quick Reply: Winterizing