Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Windows fogging up.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Windows fogging up.

Greetings,

I have a 2007 SCrew with auto climate control.
I have noticed the windows fog up fairly easily and quickly.
As best as I can remember, the windows fog up during rain events at night.
I don't recall them fogging up during daylight hours but they may.
The windows fog up heavily.
It takes a long time for the defrost to work at clearing the windows with the fan set to high.
I do not smell any coolant / anti-freeze in the cab.
I have searched here and google for this problem but only see heater core issues which I don't think I have.

Any input / suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:20 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine seems to fog up much quicker than my van does too. Seems like Im always running the defroster during the winter.

Even with the heater on the windows fog up and I have to switch to defrost.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine would fog really quick when i first bought my truck. It was from the third break light leaking into the cab. Fixed it and its all good now. Hope that help out.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use rain-x anti fog wipes on the inside of my windshield and it has really helped. Pretty much eliminated the fog from ever coming back. Cheap fix Imo.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by bluescrew08
Mine would fog really quick when i first bought my truck. It was from the third break light leaking into the cab. Fixed it and its all good now. Hope that help out.
Great place to start.

Thank you!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm with [MENTION=137898]bluescrew08[/MENTION]. See if this makes sense:

Condensation on the inside occurs when warm, moist air meets a cold surface. The air inside is moist and you turn on your heater (warm air holds even more moisture), and the moisture condenses onto a colder surface, the windows.

First, turn off "recirculate". That will allow dry air from the outside to mix with your internal moist air. If that doesn't fix it, you can stop breathing. If that doesn't work, see if you can find moisture inside the truck somewhere, as in a leak. If you have a leak, or even rain or snow on the floor mats, the heater will evaporate the moisture driving it into the air, and onto the windows.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mechanik
I'm with @bluescrew08. See if this makes sense:

Condensation on the inside occurs when warm, moist air meets a cold surface. The air inside is moist and you turn on your heater (warm air holds even more moisture), and the moisture condenses onto a colder surface, the windows.

First, turn off "recirculate". That will allow dry air from the outside to mix with your internal moist air. If that doesn't fix it, you can stop breathing. If that doesn't work, see if you can find moisture inside the truck somewhere, as in a leak. If you have a leak, or even rain or snow on the floor mats, the heater will evaporate the moisture driving it into the air, and onto the windows.
I kinda prefer to keep breathing, yes thank you. LOL.

I don't believe the system runs in recirculation but I will double check next time this happens.

It just seems REALLY odd to me that this is the first vehicle I have had this much trouble with to this extent.
I mean, it is really heavy when it does happen. Running the defrost on full blower still takes a while to clear it out.
This is a safety hazard as it usually is dark out when it happens.

It did come to my attention today, after someone on the forum mentioned it above, that there was condensation on the inside of the third brake light.

I will try to get a closer look during my next off days.

Thanks again,
Jim

Last edited by Stickman81; 03-19-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickman81
I kinda prefer to keep breathing, yes thank you. LOL.

I don't believe the system runs in recirculation but I will double check next time this happens.

It just seems REALLY odd to me that this is the first vehicle I have had this much trouble with to this extent.
I mean, it is really heavy when it does happen. Running the defrost on full blower still takes a while to clear it out.
This is a safety hazard as it usually is dark out when it happens.

It did come to my attention today, after someone on the forum mentioned it above, that there was condensation on the inside of the third brake light.

I will try to get a closer look during my next off days.

Thanks again,
Jim
If you search leak in the cab on this forum you will find an absurd amount of information and places that these trucks leak. I had leaks in 3rd brake light, on the windshield clips from installer not replacing windshield right, the sunroof drain was clogged, the rear cab drains were clogged, and I was missing a grommet in the floor channel kick panel so when driving in the rain it would get wet in the door channels.

See if your carpet is wet, water is in your door channels, with AC on see if water is draining under the cab right by transmission ect. Then you can isolate from there.

Good luck

Also have read where A/C drain can clog and be similar issue.
The following users liked this post:
Stickman81 (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by bluebullet10
If you search leak in the cab on this forum you will find an absurd amount of information and places that these trucks leak. I had leaks in 3rd brake light, on the windshield clips from installer not replacing windshield right, the sunroof drain was clogged, the rear cab drains were clogged, and I was missing a grommet in the floor channel kick panel so when driving in the rain it would get wet in the door channels.

See if your carpet is wet, water is in your door channels, with AC on see if water is draining under the cab right by transmission ect. Then you can isolate from there.

Good luck

Also have read where A/C drain can clog and be similar issue.
Great information - Thank you.
I failed to search for "leak" - thanks for the assist.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on checking under the sill plates. My truck leaked when I bought it (used) because of a broken windshield clip.

Quick Reply: Windows fogging up.