Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Window Regulator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Window Regulator Problem

Howdy folks ... soliciting some advice / 'sprerience ...

The weather has been getting very, very nice down here in the desert southwest. I have been driving around with the windows down for almost a week now and lovin' it. I noticed that my driver's window started making some nasty noises when running up (quiet on the down). The sound is almost like someone cutting glass. I had decided to stop rolling the driver's window down until I could take the door apart and look into it. Well, I forgot this morning and rolled my window down on the way to work. Just had a brain fart ... it is a beautiful day.

So...I realize my error and decide to roll the window up. The window gets all the way to the top and just as it is seating into the top ... I hear a ... POP!!! and the window falls into the door.

I'm no stranger to working on window regulators and have done it a few times. But most of those were older cars ... I tried to deal with a power door-lock issue on my '07 Honda CRV one time and it gave me fits. So...I am wondering if anyone has some insight ...
  1. Has this happened to you before?
  2. If yes, what was the fix?
  3. Is there likely a broken cable? If so, does that require a whole new regulator?
  4. How hard is it to take the door panel off?
  5. Will I need any special tools?
I have a decent Chilton's at home ... but thought I'd drop this out on the forum and see if anyone has any advice before I did into this door this weekend. Any advice/help is much appreciated.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:21 PM

Sorry folks ... I screwed the pooch on this one ... I see there are tons of threads on this already.

Nevertheless, if you have any updated information, still soliciting.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Yet another common problem. It's like a 30 minute job once you've done it a couple of times. To remove panel pop up the window button trim piece and remove one bolt. Remove speaker cover and speaker. Two bolts on the bottom of door, and a couple behind the inside door handle ad lift up to remove cover. Use a razor blade to separate plastic moisture shield from bottom of door (upon reassembly you can use a torch to soften adhesive and reapply moisture barrier). Teach under window and push up until two bolt are exposed that hold glass to regulator and loosen those. Push window all the way up and tape glass to door to keep in place while regulator is removed. Remove 4 bolts that hold regulator assembly in place and collapse and remove regulator. Oh unplug window switch before removing panel and power window motor before removing regulator. Assembly is the reverse and you'll need to plug in window switch before reinstalling panel in order to bring up regulator to window. Unlike older regulators where you can swap out assembly and keep motor these all come as one unit motor and assembly.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Lexington, NC is home

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had this same problem with my screw, d/s rear window did the exact same thing. I pushed the window up, zip tied it up and removed the motor. I will probably have to wait till Tax time to get the money to repair it. I ordered an after market kit off ebay and they sent me one for the driver side driver door and not the back door. Rather than blunder by getting sent the wrong part again, I will just have the dealer fix it while they are doing a full service. Proce quote I had to fix it was 400 dollars with parts and that was a couple years ago.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:50 PM
lol, wut

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Is the regulator on here a cable or or gear/arm driven unit?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by raduque
Is the regulator on here a cable or or gear/arm driven unit?
it's cable driven which make replacement easier but less reliable. I've changed 2 of 4 and a third is getting noisy.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:15 PM

Thanks guys ... I see that this is so common that most of my local auto parts stores carry all types (LF, LR, RF & RR) of the Dorman's in stock (for about $120).

Any reason to avoid the Dorman's regulators? Does $120 sound pretty close to online prices?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:23 PM

Dealership has them for about $160, but this OEM part sucks anyway so no harm in aftermarket.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:40 PM

Wow...Amazon has them for $87.00 ... friggin $123.00 for the same thing at Autozone.

Dorman 741-428 Ford Truck Front Driver Side Power Window Regulator with Motor : Amazon.com : Automotive Dorman 741-428 Ford Truck Front Driver Side Power Window Regulator with Motor : Amazon.com : Automotive
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...9_1597%2C78655

Not sure if it's worth $40 to me to fix it tonight, or wait for the parts to get to me on Tuesday. Decisions, decisions.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:42 AM

Just as a follow-up ... since it was my driver's window, I opted to get a window regulator sooner than later...I didn't want to wait for shipping. I purchased the part for $123.00 (plus tax) at my local O'Reilly's and had the old one out and the new one installed in about 45 minutes. Could do the next in 30 minutes pretty easy I reckon. Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply: Window Regulator Problem