Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Will shocks freeze up?

Old 02-16-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will shocks freeze up?

Got kind of a clunk/ hard squeak first thing in the morning when it gets really cold overnight. I can push down on the bed rail and can hear it coming from the rear, but can't tell exactly where. Question is, can shocks "seize up" if it's gets cold enough, or does this sound like a leaf spring issue. Or worst case scenario, differential problem? Anybody have this happen? Thanks guys
Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Shocks are stiffer in cold temps, my truck rides a lot stiffer with less absorption when it's really cold. Add off road tires and the ride suffers even more in the cold temps. I haven't noticed any clunks but the cold could be a contributing factor.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the leaf spring wear out over time to the point where they making creaking noises? I just cant see why the differential would all of a sudden be making noise when it's cold out, and I'm almost positive it's coming from the shock tubes. Just put em on about 10,000 miles ago, Monroe Reflexes. Anybody have any experience with these??
Old 02-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Shocks won't "freeze up", as they are filled with either a gas, or oil. However, if the shocks seals are cracked, this gas or oil may have leaked out, rendering the shock as basically useless.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
supersky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, the clunk could be from the bolts not being tight enough on the shocks. I had that issue on my rear driver's side when I replaced mine.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the same thing it only does it once but I always figured it was ice between the springs breaking
Old 02-18-2015, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol....no but they get very stiff or slow to react to movement. When it hit s 35 below here and less the rubber tires get flat spots in them and don't smooth out for about 5 or 6 kms. The trannys don't like the cold much either I have found. Most everyone here runs synthetic diff, transfer case, engine and tranny oil...well if you want to be nice t moving parts anyway.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem in the morning! Lol have no ****ing idea what it could be but it drives me nuts. I've had the truck for 6 years now and this is the first year it's done it. I think it has something to do with the weather though. This is the coldest winter jersey has seen in over 10 years so maybe it's ice on/in the shocks or leafs
Old 02-19-2015, 06:29 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac113
I have the same problem in the morning! Lol have no ****ing idea what it could be but it drives me nuts. I've had the truck for 6 years now and this is the first year it's done it. I think it has something to do with the weather though. This is the coldest winter jersey has seen in over 10 years so maybe it's ice on/in the shocks or leafs
I'm thinking it's more due to the truck being exposed to 6 years of salt and sand on the roads Jersey is using on the streets in the winter. Sooner or later, it takes its toll.

Man, I love living in Florida! My 2007 still looks new; the undersides are clean, no noises.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like dirty/rusty leaf springs.

We used to put grease in between the leaves to prevent the popping and squeaking. I dont remember the whole process but involved putting the truck up on jack stands and letting the suspension hang (Not supported).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will shocks freeze up?