Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Who knows what their talking about?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who knows what their talking about?

I was out this past weekend in a buddys '09 SUPER DUTY 4x4 on a gravel road with 3" of ice under 4" of snow. To make a long story short we had a very difficult time managing a fairly steep hill. One thing I noticed that got me thinking about my '05 f150 was that the front diff. in his SUPER DUTY would not lock. The hubs were switched from "auto" to "lock" and we tried 4h and 4l. Didn't matter. We were only getting traction from one front and one rear tire at a time. Power would switch back and forth from side to side, but I thought by locking the hubs, this would lock the diff. That did not happen. So...

Question #1.
Is this how the SUPER DUTY'S are supposed to operate in 4wd, or should he have this looked at?

Question # 2
Does the F150 have a locking front differential or is it a limited slip?

Could someone please help clarify this. Talked to a FORD salesman and got no answer. The techs were gone for the day.

NOTE:
Had a '98 Dodge Ram before this and the front diff locked in 4wd and the rear was a limited slip. Worked great on snow, mud, gravel, and sand. Just tough on the pavement. BUT...I never got stuck in the snow!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the way the 4x4 on the new powerstrokes works is probably one of there biggest flaws, ill explain this as cut and dry as i can, what they tried to do was take a luxury type system and save as much damn money on it as they could. they wanted it to keep switching power around to the wheel's until one got the most traction then it would stay with that one, that is how it works in 4x4 unless the tires have great traction then it will switch back and forth just the way it is, the rears when in 4x4 do stay locked up tho, when in 2wd its limited slip but both will still spin

hope that helps
Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM

Thanks.
Does anyone know how the 4wd system works for these 150's? Specifically the front differential.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:30 PM

Most people think a four wheel drive delivers power to all wheels at the same time, but with an open diff (which is what most factory vehicles come with front and rear) power is transfered to the wheel with the least amout of resistance (tire with the least amount of traction) just opposite of what is needed. So bacically in 4wd you could have power to one wheel on each axle.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 PM

Ya, unfortunitally this was witnessed first hand this past weekend. Power transfered to the wheel with the least amount of resistance???? WTF? How is that gonna get you out of anything? Sorry but I think Ford needs to rethink this system. Really, this is my only major complaint with these trucks.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Fire Rescue
Ya, unfortunitally this was witnessed first hand this past weekend. Power transfered to the wheel with the least amount of resistance???? WTF? How is that gonna get you out of anything? Sorry but I think Ford needs to rethink this system. Really, this is my only major complaint with these trucks.
Not just a Ford problem, most manufacturers work this way. Ever drive a vehicle with a locker in one of the axles? Most people would not stand for the ill manners of a locker on their new 4x4 on the pavement. That is why limited slips get put in, but not a good replacement for a locker that will send 100% of the power to both wheels.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 AM

What is involved in putting a locker on the front? This wouldn't change the drive of the truck when your in 2wd, would it? If your using the 4wd off road, snow, or sand then "manors" arent really an issue. Tires should slip instead of wheel hop.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will want a selectable locker. for example you can switch it on or off when you please. on=full diff lock off=open diff for on road. they make air actuated ones by ARB or cable lock ones by OX or Electric ones by Auburn. you could also go with something in the auto locking fashion like a detroit locker. these are automatic locking diffs which will lock up when they "feel" slipping. these are all expensive $700 a piece or more plus install
Old 02-03-2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rubicon35
you will want a selectable locker. for example you can switch it on or off when you please. on=full diff lock off=open diff for on road. they make air actuated ones by ARB or cable lock ones by OX or Electric ones by Auburn. you could also go with something in the auto locking fashion like a detroit locker. these are automatic locking diffs which will lock up when they "feel" slipping. these are all expensive $700 a piece or more plus install
Powertrax No-Slips seem to work good in front diffs, as long as both axles can be disconnected for on-pavement use. And they usally only run about 400.00, easy do it yourself install, no gear set up. Dont know if they make one for this axle though....Ran one for years in the back of my Jeep, worked excellent.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:45 PM

Thanks, I may check into a couple of these and see what the best option would be.

Quick Reply: Who knows what their talking about?