Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

White Paint needs help!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Cars don't live here...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry White Paint needs help!!!!!!

Over the fenderwells and along the bottom of the doors is this rusty colored spray. From a distance of 5 or 6 feet you can't really see it. But when you get up on the truck you can clearly see it. One person told me it was surface rust. That would be acceptable if it wasn't for the fact that the fenders are plastic. Then I was told that I may have run over wet lines painted on the road. Ok well that would be acceptable if the spray marks were yellow and not a rusty brown. If I use ALOT of elbow grease I can get some of it to come off. I'm leary about what to use to get it off. SOOOOOO, my question is, What do you think it is? and How do I get it off??
Old 02-28-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have a white dodge magnum and got the same kind of thing on my paint...i thought it was rust so I took it back to the dealership. They said it was rail dust from transportation. They ended up buffing it off with a clay compound - i think it would polish off because i too could get some of it off if i really scrubbed.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whiskey
Over the fenderwells and along the bottom of the doors is this rusty colored spray. From a distance of 5 or 6 feet you can't really see it. But when you get up on the truck you can clearly see it. One person told me it was surface rust. That would be acceptable if it wasn't for the fact that the fenders are plastic. Then I was told that I may have run over wet lines painted on the road. Ok well that would be acceptable if the spray marks were yellow and not a rusty brown. If I use ALOT of elbow grease I can get some of it to come off. I'm leary about what to use to get it off. SOOOOOO, my question is, What do you think it is? and How do I get it off??
my truck also get it sometimes! nothing a good clay barring wont fix!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Cars don't live here...

My truck is an '04, and my husband has a '10. His truck is blue and you can see it on his as well. In the same location as mine. I used to think it was the water, but I wipe it down after I wash it. I'm begining to think it might be thae chemicals DOT sprays for snow and ice.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Cars don't live here...

Originally Posted by Devin1231
my truck also get it sometimes! nothing a good clay barring wont fix!
Got a good one to use in mind??
Old 02-28-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by whiskey
Got a good one to use in mind??
im sure a maguires will work for what you want! but i would recomend a Po-Boy Clay bar kit.... but they aren't cheap!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

many will say its "rail dust" and i suppose in some cases that could be a cause but IMO its just a cop out that dealerships use. in most cases its rust particles from your brakes. i have the spots on my truck and it has brand new panels and paint on them and i know my trucks never been on a train. if you live in a state that uses salt on the roads it will make the rust spots stand out much more because its make the brake particles to rust so much more. clay bar will get alot of it out but i found out it wont get it all. im trying this product this year http://www.cquartz.com/iron-cut.html it removes the rust particles before you clay bar and it prevents the damage that leaving those particles on the paint can cause.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

I had a 93 ranger with a white paint job before my f150 now... There was so much of these surface rust specs all over it I thought I needed a full paint job. I got the meguiars clay bar kit and it was amazing how well it works... Takes all the spots away and leaves the paint feeling very smooth. Did my pops Sunbeam Tiger afterwards as the paint was feeling a little rough. Good idea to use the clay bar and then wax afterwards. Meguiars has a kit that has 2 clay bars, the liquid that you use to lubricate it, and a container to hold the clay bar after you are done
Old 02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Cars don't live here...

Originally Posted by kozal01
many will say its "rail dust" and i suppose in some cases that could be a cause but IMO its just a cop out that dealerships use. in most cases its rust particles from your brakes. i have the spots on my truck and it has brand new panels and paint on them and i know my trucks never been on a train. if you live in a state that uses salt on the roads it will make the rust spots stand out much more because its make the brake particles to rust so much more. clay bar will get alot of it out but i found out it wont get it all. im trying this product this year http://www.cquartz.com/iron-cut.html it removes the rust particles before you clay bar and it prevents the damage that leaving those particles on the paint can cause.
That's what I expected since my truck hasn't been on a train either. I live in NC and we had a couple of snows and a few scares of snow. DOT was dumping liquid brine for days. Like you said, my husbands truck is brand new and never been on a train either. Shouldn't be a thing wrong with it. Makes sense..Thanx. I'll check out your link as well.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 PM
T-Town Guzzler

Thats crazy I noticed I had the same issue today you can see it up close on white

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: White Paint needs help!!!!!!