Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

White molding!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White molding!?

So I just saw this clean *** F150, I noticed that the top bed molding was white. Can you purchase the molding in different colors or do you have to paint it? and if so who has done this mod? Thanks in advance

Old 05-03-2009, 12:22 AM

damn i need to research this! i want!!

let me know if you find out
Old 05-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

It was most likely painted at a body shop. The dealer only sells them in black. I have never seen painted ones though, looks kinda cool.

Same applies to the plastic cap on the rear bumper (steps and plate surround). I do not like that painted as much though.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:01 AM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

At pep-boys and I think Advanced auto parts they have different colors "Auto Trim spray paint" that a buddy of mine used and loved it. He also used it to paint his door trim inside.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenn
It was most likely painted at a body shop. The dealer only sells them in black. I have never seen painted ones though, looks kinda cool.

Same applies to the plastic cap on the rear bumper (steps and plate surround). I do not like that painted as much though.

black and tan is all ive seen. with proper prep work, any body shop should be able to paint these. i wouldnt trust spray bomb.looks like ive got somehting to add to mine when i paint the mirrors/handles
Old 05-03-2009, 10:28 PM

i was thinking of doing that to my truck. im going to paint it black because im pretty sure you guys know how bad the plastic looks after its been in the sun for a while. when i do this maybe sometime this week i will post pics on how it turned out.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:35 AM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by f150mashin559
im pretty sure you guys know how bad the plastic looks after its been in the sun for a while.

Nahhhh.....Can't say I know what your talking about. Oh yeah, that's because I use this:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G13415

Works great and makes all my exterior truck plastics look brand new.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by f150mashin559
i was thinking of doing that to my truck. im going to paint it black because im pretty sure you guys know how bad the plastic looks after its been in the sun for a while. when i do this maybe sometime this week i will post pics on how it turned out.
I painted my bed rails about 8 months ago using Krylon "Black Fusion" paint for plastics. The stuff works great, and the rails look like new.

However, be sure to use some good prep cleaner (Krylon sells this as well), along with a plastic primer (clear). Otherwise, the paint will easily peel off after about 3 to 4 weeks when you wash it. You will b e supprised as to how much crap comes off on the cloth you use to apply the prep cleaner! My buddy tried to apply just the paint without prepping. He had to use a pressure washer to remove the paint; then he went the way of preping as I described (it's written on the fussion spray can), and he now has great results.

I'm assuming any color can be used, and if a paint shop does it for you to match your body color, they will add a "flex" agent to the paint to allow it to flex somewhat so it does not crack if you lean on it, or push on it like any plastic flexible part.

After all, these are trucks; we do work them, right?

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 05-04-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by XPerties
Nahhhh.....Can't say I know what your talking about. Oh yeah, that's because I use this:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G13415

Works great and makes all my exterior truck plastics look brand new.
ok you got me there. im just lazy then.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
I painted my bed rails about 8 months ago using Krylon "Black Fusion" paint for plastics. The stuff works great, and the rails look like new.

However, be sure to use some good prep cleaner (Krylon sells this as well), along with a plastic primer (clear). Otherwise, the paint will easily peel off after about 3 to 4 weeks when you wash it. You will b e supprised as to how much crap comes off on the cloth you use to apply the prep cleaner! My buddy tried to apply just the paint without prepping. He had to use a pressure washer to remove the paint; then he went the way of preping as I described (it's written on the fussion spray can), and he now has great results.

I'm assuming any color can be used, and if a paint shop does it for you to match your body color, they will add a "flex" agent to the paint to allow it to flex somewhat so it does not crack if you lean on it, or push on it like any plastic flexible part.

After all, these are trucks; we do work them, right?
i will check that out.

Quick Reply: White molding!?