Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Whine Not Idler Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Whine Not Idler Pulley

Hey guys, so I've seen a lot of videos talking about the whining coming from the front end of a 5.4 L (mine is a 2008) being some of the pulleys, so I got out there tonight, took the belt off, checked the bearings in the pulleys, and they are all fine. I got a friend of mine's stethoscope and started poking around, and found it to be right behind my right idles pulley. I specifically took that pulley off and know the pulley is fine. I am not what would be considered a grease monkey, so I'm not sure what that part of the engine is. So if that explanation was enough for you to get an idea of what it might be, help me out.

Thanks

(by the way, don't think it is the power steering pump, fluid pipe leads elsewhere, just my guess though.)
Old 08-15-2015, 02:38 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Originally Posted by Blake Kitchens
Hey guys, so I've seen a lot of videos talking about the whining coming from the front end of a 5.4 L (mine is a 2008) being some of the pulleys, so I got out there tonight, took the belt off, checked the bearings in the pulleys, and they are all fine. I got a friend of mine's stethoscope and started poking around, and found it to be right behind my right idles pulley. I specifically took that pulley off and know the pulley is fine. I am not what would be considered a grease monkey, so I'm not sure what that part of the engine is. So if that explanation was enough for you to get an idea of what it might be, help me out.

Thanks

(by the way, don't think it is the power steering pump, fluid pipe leads elsewhere, just my guess though.)
Based on your terminology and admittance of not knowing what a part of an engine is called, just take it to a mechanic and have it fixed........
Old 08-15-2015, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I get that I could do that. And if it comes down to it I will. But I'd like to learn. And even if I don't end up doing it myself I will still have learned some in the process by understanding what is going on rather than just saying "here fix whatever it is"
The following users liked this post:
beantown617 (08-15-2015)

Quick Reply: Whine Not Idler Pulley