Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Whine noise from air intake... help !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Whine noise from air intake... help !!

I have a 2006 f150 with a k&n air intake on it and had some whine from under the hood. The alternator was bad and while i had it apart i replaced the tension-er pulley and all the idler pulleys and even the water pump. all new parts and no more whine but when i hit the gas or am driving down the road it has a whistle whine sound. and even in the drive way with a friend slightly rev of the engine the air filter whines but have no idea how to fix it . have new filter and all clamps are tight, no air leaks. Super annoying and can hear it constantly in the cab. Any helps would be awesome. thanks in advance
Old 01-26-2015, 09:01 PM
2003 F-150 King Ranch

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe it's the truck sucking in more air?
Old 01-27-2015, 06:08 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Perhaps this "whistle whine sound" was always there, but it could not be heard until you corrected the noise of the belt/alternator/tensioner. Now that this noise was fixed, you are now hearing the CAI system's noise.

Still have the stock CAI (I say stock CAI, because it is one; it draws cool air from the fender, ducted to the front of the truck)? If so, put that back on, enjoy the quiet, and sell the aftermarket CAI.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 01-28-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Perhaps this "whistle whine sound" was always there, but it could not be heard until you corrected the noice of the belt/alternator/tensioner. Now that their noise was fixed, you are now hearing the CAI system's noise.

Still have the stock CAI (I say stock CAI, because it is one; it draws cool air from the fender, ducted to the front of the truck)? If so, put that back on, enjoy the quiet, and sell the aftermarket CAI.

Thanks I did just this and it is fine. When I bought it used it had the aftermarket but stock in back seat, fixed the problem and honestly is less matnence. Thanks again
Old 01-27-2015, 05:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Ever wondered what those silly 'boxy' type things are that's on the OEM intake track?

They are resonators and there to reduce all that tomfoolery.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rossco
Ever wondered what those silly 'boxy' type things are that's on the OEM intake track?

They are resonators and there to reduce all that tomfoolery.
We're would I find another stock intake I guess the one I through back in was only that square part on the throttle body.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:58 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Junk yard, or Ebay.

Those large "side boxes" that look like tumors are the sound deadners/mufflers. If you want your stock CAI to make the noise of the aftermarket ones, take a dremel tool and cut them off. Then use a fiberglass repair kit to close up the holes, sand, repaint, and bada bing-bada boom, you have a CAI that will roar when you stomp on the drive by wire pedal (formally known as a gas pedal).
Old 01-28-2015, 06:03 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke Ryan
We're would I find another stock intake I guess the one I through back in was only that square part on the throttle body.
Ah I threw mine out. Didn't think it was worth the plastic it was made of.

I have contacted a guy who I swap / trade / sell with. If he has one, he will hook you up.

Bucko =
Old 01-28-2015, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I don't have my stocker anymore but they are easy to find at any junk yard for $50. The whining sound is your unit sucking more air (as it should). Personally I like the sound of that. Unless you get a lean code you are fine. Go with it and enjoy a bit more power and maybe a 1-2 mpg better as well.

Jeff
Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Guess it matters what CAI you have...mine don't whine..but, you can hear it suck air when you stomp on it ...

Quick Reply: Whine noise from air intake... help !!