Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Where to mount radar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to mount radar?

I just got a radar and I was wondering where everyone mounted theirs. I am eventually going to hardwire it and put it to the left of the rearview mirror but for now I just want to stick it somewhere. Also, is there anyway to make it so the cigarette lighter turns off with the car? I don't want to have to unplug the radar everytime I get in and out of the car.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:00 AM

If you want to spend a lil money to mount it this is a great way to do it! I don't personally have one but I would like to get one. I have seen one in a freinds truck and its a nice unit! if not there are tons of ways to mount it im sure someone will have a neat idea as well hope this helps

http://www.mgtmotorsports.com/mgt_blendmount.html
Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 AM
Ferd F-TeenThousand

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for posting that link! That's just what I've been needing for the radar detector in my truck.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by ElTauro
Thank you for posting that link! That's just what I've been needing for the radar detector in my truck.
im glad i can help
Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I laughed when I read the first post and then looked up. Funny how google knows what we want.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lariat5.4triton
Also, is there anyway to make it so the cigarette lighter turns off with the car? I don't want to have to unplug the radar everytime I get in and out of the car.

Thanks.
Get an add-a-fuse from your local autoparts store, shouldnt cost more than a dollar or so. Plug it into fuse #1 in the fuse panel, its a switched fuse so it comes on with the ignition. Thats the way mine has been for 6 months, works great.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:05 PM

thanks for all the quick responses guys
Old 11-29-2009, 12:00 PM

Default Radar Placement

The best place to put a radar detector is as close to the dash as possible. THe reasoning behind this is that when radar is being done (either manually with a gun or with a mounted gun) it is commonly aimed at the license plate. Therefore to get the ultimate range out of your detector, you want to put it as close to that spot as possible. Depending on what kind of radar detector you get, it could be the difference in slowing down in time or getting a ticket.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Radar Detector Guru

Originally Posted by captainsal
The best place to put a radar detector is as close to the dash as possible. THe reasoning behind this is that when radar is being done (either manually with a gun or with a mounted gun) it is commonly aimed at the license plate. Therefore to get the ultimate range out of your detector, you want to put it as close to that spot as possible. Depending on what kind of radar detector you get, it could be the difference in slowing down in time or getting a ticket.
No. You are thinking of laser not radar. The best place to mount your radar detector is high to the left of your RVM.

A couple reasons why you don't want to mount low:

1. Everyone around you will notice it. Soon, they will be tailing you and start using you as a radar detector.

2. When you park, a radar detector sitting near your dash is asking for someone to steal it.

Which radar detector did you get? If you got a Cobra, return it before you get a ticket.

Quick Reply: Where to mount radar?