Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Where does this clip go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where does this clip go?

Bought an 05 STX that already didn't have over drive. I was hauling a trailer going about 60 when the truck felt like it lost a gear and it slowed down to about 55. The dash read TRANS FAULT and the engine light came on. I drove about 30 more miles like this (I was in the middle of moving 3hrs away) and than it felt like it lost another gear. It slowed down to about 40 and the OD light began to flash. It threw 18 codes some of them repeats like the 02 sensor. I limped it home and dropped the trans pan.

Found alot of shavings on the magnet and almost brown fluid. It appears to be the first time the trans has been dropped (found the yellow dipstick plug). Dropped the valve body and did not find anything broken (was looking for a broken retention ring). I was going to check the springs in the shift accumulator next. I just touched the 3rd accumulator and it fell into my oil pan. I was feeling around the oil pan and thats when I found the c clip in the picture.

Any idea where it goes? Does it look broken? Have I missed something? Would a new filter have solved my problems? Any help would be much appreciated.

It has 250K on the body and supposedly 150k on a used engine but that is suspect.
Attached Thumbnails Where does this clip go?-20150719_225015.jpg  
Old 07-20-2015, 02:45 AM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

That is a broken 'e' clip. Google to see what a whole one looks like. I know nothing further.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:28 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Broken.

The worst thing you could have done was to continue driving it; should have pulled over. It's going to cost you a new/rebuilt tranny now, not just some fluid and selective parts.

Quick Reply: Where does this clip go?