Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

When is it time for a mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Default When is it time for a mechanic?

So I recently had the entire timing system replaced (Solenoids, phasers, chains, guides, and tensioners). She was still running rough, so I decided it was time for new plugs, so I had the plugs changed out with SP-515 Motorcraft Platinum plugs. She smoothed out but she still had some top-end chatter so I figured I'd change the oil early and see if maybe the bad timing etc had wreaked havoc on the oil.

For about two days she ran like she'd just left the lot. Smooth as butter, no vibration/shakiness at idle. I was stoked to finally have her running so smooth. Then she started idling really rough/shaky so I took her back to my mechanic.

He agreed that something was up, but said that there was no way to pinpoint the problem until "it get's a little worse". That was about a week ago.

I bought a Bluetooth OBDII adapter and purchased the Torque app to be able to keep an eye on the engine. So far no codes and she is still running rough. But last night I turned her over cold and for the first time she sounded REALLY bad, like there was an exhaust leak or she had turned into a diesel.

Is it time to take her back to the mechanic? And if so does anybody have any ideas what the problem may be? The idle is solid and hovers around 595-610 according to Torque, but she's real shaky.

Can anybody give me some advice?
Old 06-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,139 Likes on 2,839 Posts

what brand phasers did you put in?
Old 06-28-2014, 02:15 PM

All parts that have gone into her have been genuine Ford replacement parts.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

How does it run under a load? Could be a bad COP.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:49 PM

She runs fine under load, but according to Torque she's only putting about 200hp to the wheels. Not sure how accurate that is.

I do know that the bank 1 cylinder 2 COP was on the verge of needing to be replaced. I was planning to replace it and replace all the boots at the same time. Should I just do that and see if it fixes it before I waste time with a mechanic?

Quick Reply: When is it time for a mechanic?