Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

When changing your fuel filter....

Old 12-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Default When changing your fuel filter....

Be sure you have the tool to disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel filter. There is a "butterfly" looking wrench, or the plastic piece (comes in a kit with several sizes; The Ford fuel line uses the Grey one). Use it on BOTH sides. Don't attempt to pull the blue clip on the fuel line that is on the gas tank to fuel filter side; you'll only break it. I've read a few posts on another Ford pickup forum that talks about how the guys are breaking the blue clip thinking it has to be pulled in order to remove that fuel line. USE THE TOOL, and you will easily be able to remove the fuel line without breaking the blue clip.
If you do break the blue clip (because you pried it with a screwdriver), you can cut about a 1/4 inch off of each clip end (at a 45 degree angle) of the ones that come with a new fuel filter (FRAM includes two clips with their fuel filter for other applications). This modified clip will then snap into the slots of the fuel line and hold it onto the fuel filter.

Or go to this link, and order the blue clips (they come in a package of 5 for 10 bucks). They are at the bottom of the links page:

http://www.pointe-products.com/Items...ners+and+Clips

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 12-14-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was too cheap to buy the tool and this was my outcome..........now i still dont have my fuel filter changed and gotta go buy the tool and new clips.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Truck & Car Hobbyist

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also, make sure to depressurize the fuel line(look for a nozzle around the fuel rail). Having gas sprayed on your face is no fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When changing your fuel filter....