Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

wheel speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel speed sensor

Hey guys I got a problem with my driver side front end. First the ABS light came on and a little after that I had a burning smell and could see white smoke coming up from around the brakes. I took it in and they ran a diagnostics and determined that the wheel speed sensor wires had been burnt. They replaced it on friday and by sunday it started smokin again but the ABS light hasn't come on yet. I'm takin it in today hopefully I don't get screwed out of more money. Has anyone had this happen to them? How big of a deal is the sensor and what does it do? Its an 06 5.4 by the way. Thanks for the helps guys.

Colin
Old 01-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Whenever I do a brake job, I replace these sensors, as they are cheap, and can get clogged by brake dust and cause the ABS light to come on.

However, I've never had one "burn up and smoke" on me....sounds like some other issue.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got off the phone with the mechanic and he said that it is an ABS control module problem and is a dealer controlled part($$$). I've been searching the web and have found an ABS recall for some older F150's and various other Ford models. Hopefully the dealership will take care of it as being a known issue but I doubt it. Curious if anyone else has heard anything.

Quick Reply: wheel speed sensor