Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What's this noise??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's this noise??

It is an intermittent rattle, although not sure rattle is the correct word. Sounds more like moving parts grind than a rattle. The sound to me is like an old car I had long ago with a speedo cable acting up, needed lubed or something and think it ended up breaking.

Anyway, it is right up in the front drivers side corner, under dash I guess, but almost sounds like coming from the pillar. Makes no dif if using 4x4, hvac, hitting bumps. not sure about outdoor temps affecting it, only had a range of 15 to 25 degrees or so. Drove it 5 hours and it started making the noise about 2 hours into trip, then came and went. i drove it 40 miles round trip and never acted up, then another 15 trip and most of the time. It does seem to not happen below about 45 mph. 2006 if matters to anyone.

Any ideas? Thanks much
Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the problem and thought I would post in hopes it helps somebody someday if searching....

Believe it or not, it is the trim piece that runs across the cab and down the edge of the windshield. The bottom 1/3 or so was lose enough that the wind rattled it back and forth. Added some windshield adhesive and good to go... thank goodness, cause it was driving me crazy!

Quick Reply: What's this noise??