Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Whats the matter with Dealers??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the matter with Dealers??

Hey Guys.. 2004 F150 XLT 5.4 4x4 145,000KM. Last year I had a problem with a metal on metal / marbles in a can sound under load. It happens when I am going up a big hill / incline. My truck really slows down going up so I give it gas, I feel a slight vibration and this sound appears, it stops when I get to the top of the hill and if I let off the gas. Now it ONLY DOES IT IN 2 WHEEL DRIVE. First thing I did last year was change the IWE Solenoid above the battery. Still made the sound, brought it in and they changed the two front actuators and charged me close to $500CAN. It stopped for a bit and then started about but I did not drive to the cabin that much, which is where all the hills were. So I did not notice as much. March 2009 it was getting to me, so I brought it back. They did a vacuum test (NO LEAKS) Guy told me his guy could not produce the sound. We go for a road test and I make the truck do the sound. He tells me its my actautor (left) defective?? they changed it (not fixed) take it back, another roads test. IWE Solenoid defective (not fixed) took it back last tues and do a road test again, changed the right side actuator (not fixed) and they did a vacuum test and they said it was all good the truck is fine now. PLUS!! I get to the dealer to pick it up (it's raining) I have rain guards thank god! My window is 2 inches below thew guard and my door is soaked and my truck smelled like smokes!!! MAN I WAS PISSED! I will be writting them a letter.

Sorry for the long post. So should I go somewhere else and get a second opinion?? I just don't want to spend more money. I even told the dealer when i picked it up I hope you fixed the problem now because this is like the 4 - 5 attempt! Any other ideas what it could be?? If I missed some info let me know. Thanks guys.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:46 AM

Absolutely!
Old 05-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Black 06 F150 SCab 4x4

Your description of the problem sounds a lot like an engine when predetonation occurs. Definately see another dealer though.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have they checked the catalytic converters? The marbles in a tin can sound is the main reason I ask...
Old 05-31-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That sounds like pinging or spark knock...very common & normal in all the Fords I have owned. Our trucks are rated to use 87 Regular gas but can & will ping under heavy load & part throttle...When I pull a trailer I switch to Premium gas & it goes away...test yours by running the tank low & filling with Premium & road testing it that way. I bet your "problem" is solved.

I know our computers are supposed to learn about pinging & retard timing etc. to prevent this bit it still happens I have found.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Average Joe

I have a similar sound, but mine sounds like the cartoon sound effect for a spring or a bouncing piece of metal. Even sounds like it is "boinging" back and forth. Very odd sound to me. If I excelerate hard from a stop the truck makes this sound. Could it be the driveshaft yoke or u-joints? I don't think it is knock or ping (although I guess it could be). For me, if it was the cattys wouldn't it do this all the time when accelerating? What about the rear springs? Could they be loose? The truck does have a shudder at 50+ mph.

Sorry to jusp the thread, but sounds like it "could" be the same problem?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:11 PM

They want to check it again tomorrow, so I will. This will be the last time though and then I am going somewhere else to get a second opinion.
Pinging or spark knock?? I can't see this being normal what my truck is doing. It sound really bad and it's loud. Someone said my cats could be the problem, well when I start to hit the hill I do feel the engine struggle a bit and I have to give it gas and that's when I feel the slight shudder in the engine, then the sound starts and if I press harder on the gas it get louder. The only problem that I have is this does not happen on 4x4 at all but I still have to give it some gas going up the hill and do get the shudder aswell without the sound. Hopefully they will figure this out! Thanks for your help and I will post my results on Wednesday.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I have the same problem. I also hear a knocking sound in the rear of my car, sounds like the exhaust. I have the 06 5.4 supercrew. I also have the "sound/vibration" in my car when I hit hills or try to conserve gas at low RPMs. My best friends dad is a mechanic at Ford/Mercury Dealer and he says it could be the spark plugs or the ignition coils. replaced one, and it reduced the sound/vibration the car made at the low RPMs. Going to replace the sparks sometime this week(or next) and possibly purchase 7 more ignition coils and replace them.

Btw, how many miles does your truck have?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:03 PM

I have new spark plugs but it did the sound before I changed them. I just came back from the cabin and I can say my engine sound like it is trying to pick up speed going up the hills but then it starts that damn noise, even if I am driving 110km on the highway and i press the gas (not changing gears) the engine changes it sound like something is clogged?? The air filter / fuel filter are 3 months old. I think it may be a couple of things. I can for sure say this sound it is making is not normal or I will never buy a Ford again I can just imagine if I pulled my 29ft trailor (which I don't) I am leaving them the truck tomorrow and see what they have to say.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to get your fuel injectors clean. That might be a posibility

Quick Reply: Whats the matter with Dealers??