Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What is with these wheels?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is with these wheels?

I have a 2008 F150 Lariet and have a question about the wheels. Below is a photo of wheels similar to my truck. This is not my truck, but the wheels are the same best I can tell.

When I bought this truck new, I really thought the wheels were chrome. Then upon my first cleaning, I realized the wheels are simply aluminum with a cover over them. I am not sure the actual material of the cover, but it seems to clip into place....really not certain how it works.

Either way, the silly covers (what I call the modern hub cap) will not clean up worth a crap! All the brake dust embeds into these things and no chemical or elbow grease will get it off. I am to the point where I am going to take it to the dealer and ask for new ones. I may look into purchasing a new set of OEM wheels (anyone want to sell some?) that are a one piece (cast, monoblock...doesn't matter) wheel. I really don't want after market stuff, as this is a work truck. I just want an easier washing process.. Right now, I cannot get the wheels back to new looking to save my life.

Anyone else have this probelm? Can the covers be removed and new ones purchased. i figured a second set will allow me to swap during a wash session....then work on the really dirty ones on my work bench if I have to....ridiculous.

Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by arcuhtek
..... Can the covers be removed and new ones purchased. i figured a second set will allow me to swap during a wash session....then work on the really dirty ones on my work bench if I have to....ridiculous.

Thoughts?
Yes, they have to be removed for lug nut access. You will find a small slot on the outer edge of the center cap, and one of the spare tire "rods" (used to lower the spare tire) inserts into thos slot, and you mearly pop it off.
Be prepared for price shock; I have a different style center cap on mine, and it's $54.00! Mine is aluminum.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Hydro Commando

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's my truck. It's an '06. The truck came with the "chrome" package. The wheels are chromed aluminum. They clean up pretty easily. They don't have a cover on them, only a cap to access the lugnuts.

Last edited by boomsling; 12-22-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Yes, they have to be removed for lug nut access. You will find a small slot on the outer edge of the center cap, and one of the spare tire "rods" (used to lower the spare tire) inserts into thos slot, and you mearly pop it off.
Be prepared for price shock; I have a different style center cap on mine, and it's $54.00! Mine is aluminum.
I aqm not talking about the center cap. I am talking about the entire wheel is covered....spokes and all....with a thin cap that looks like chrome but is not.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Truckin'Boatin'Bikin' Nut

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Starting in 07, Ford joined the group of many auto manufacturers and made their chrome wheels a plastic cover that overlays the aluminum. Of course it is a much cheaper process of making them. I was concerned also, but after taking my truck to the local tire place to get the outer weights removed thinking it would corrode the "aluminum" the guy there told me they were plastic and that they would not corrode. I had the weights changed out to glue on's anyway just for the astetics. He told me he liked the plastic version for the durability over chromed aluminum, that he has saw plenty of the chromed versions pit and peel, and that the plastic versions were holding up quite well. Like any wheel if you do not keep up on the cleaning of the brake dust, it eventually eats into anything. I am not saying you are not keeping them clean, but maybe the PO did not, and we all know how these Ford brakes like to turn our wheels black in no time. This is my first experiance with the plastic covers also, so I am hoping the "tire guy" is correct on the durability of the plastic. But after hearing your concerrns, I'll take extra care to keep these things clean.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 PM

For anyone who wants proof that the alleged chrome wheels are in fact chromed plastic over the steel wheels...I present to you....the smoking gun:

Look closely....the wheel cover is a slightly different size than the streel wheel....so you can see the plastic piece. Also, notice the seventh hole near the lug nut holes, which (I think) is how the cover is clipped on....

I HATE THESE WHEELS. They are so hard to clean. In fact...I have found it literally impossible to clean them back to factory new look. All of my other cars I own have no issue with keeping the entire wheel clean. I am pretty **** about cleaning the wheels. But this one takes the cake!

I am looking for new OEM wheels now.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all has to do with customers. Most customers expect their truck to last and be able to clean it once a month or something stupid like that and if for some reason something goes wrong they want it covered by the warranty.

I am in the aftermarket wheel business and we get this ALL the time. A customer buys a set of chrome wheels (plated) looks after them for the first month or so during the summer and then as it gets colder and darker sooner cant be bothered to do it. Then the brakedust eats into the rim and starts to peel the chrome off.

They then come back saying the wheels arent fit for purpose and want a refund or are taking you to court. Or they have gone to a car cleaning place where they have used harsh acidic based wheel cleaners on them which has dulled the finish and want a refund or are taking you to court.

It really does get tiresome after awhile which is why dealers now put the plastic plates on them. Still looks as good and does last a lot longer than if they had real chrome wheels on. One of my colleges has had the sameset of chrome incubus wheels for the past 3 years with no pitting or anything yet we sold a set of 22" wheels to a customer one september on a dodge ram, come february he was coming in claiming that the wheels werent for use. The truck itself looked filthy so i asked when the last time he washed the wheels and it was october as it was to cold to wash them anymore. So the brake dust, salt, road grime had sat on them for 5 months until he decided to clean them.

I know what you mean though, the plastic is still crap as I have a 2005 chrysler aspen which is starting to show dulling even though the wheels are religiously washed.

If i were you I would highly recomend all black wheels. I have them and they are an absolute dream. Looks great and you never have to worry about them pitting and in saying that I have never had a customer come back to me with black wheels. Just my 2pence though.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 AM

My black Cayman has a set of black wheels. I like them okay. They have a certain look, but IMO black anything loses the intimate details of a design. Wheels included. The Cayman is a beautiful car and looks hot in black. BUt it is more difficult to visually see the lines of the design due to a low contrast color. My F150 is the stone green metallic (some people think it is metallic brown) and I dont think black is a choice here.

I realize that wheels will not perform durability wise if not maintained even through the winter months. I think to ask for warranty to kick in on these is ridiculous. What person thinks a warranty should be in effect for dirt deflection? If a spoke fell of of the darn thing...SURE....bey yo azz I would be at the dealership protesting. Leather ripped in 2 months on your seat...yep. Wheels wont come clean...nah.

But to be honest with you, I noticed that the brake dust was embedding easily in less than 30 days from purchase off the lot. It has only gotten worse.

I do however think it is CRAZY to think the dealerships want $508 PER wheel cover to replace them. I was going to replace them if it was cheap.... But $2000!! F.Y.!!!! As a matter of reference, I have always been the kind of OCD person who jacks their car up at every major wash (monthly) and takes the wheels off of it and cleans them inside and out. I got tired of doing this and so for my Cayman I have now purchased three sets of wheels and tires. Two sets stay pristine in the garage. Comer wash day I jack the car up and do a wheel put stop. The dirty wheels come off and go in the garage. I dont even wash the wheels that day....unless I have time. Then, when I have time, the dirty set gets a complete makeover...ready for the next wash day. I find washing the car more enjoyable because the wheels always look factory new.

Not on the F150!

So I had the brainstorm to buy a new set of chrome plated plastic wheel covers and just rotate those out every wash in the same manner as above. Yes I know that it would be a lot of work, but if you saw how hard I worked to attempt to get these wheels brand new, you would why I think it might be worth it. But for $2000...heck no...its time for a new wheel style.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK here is a question. Hoe do you get "hub caps off.?" I just bought a new 2008 (134 mi) F-150 too. I hate the chrome covers and would prefer the aluminum that I believe is under them. My 2004 was fairly easy to keep kleen except the spokes small access always worked best with a toothbrush.

So back to the covers. There are two tabs under the lug cap cover. The rim seems like it is glued to the rim (nice engineering). Hey Bob got Glue? Can they be taken off without destroying them?

Dennis - Norcal
Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Hydro Commando

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gjdavies
Starting in 07, Ford joined the group of many auto manufacturers and made their chrome wheels a plastic cover that overlays the aluminum. Of course it is a much cheaper process of making them. I was concerned also, but after taking my truck to the local tire place to get the outer weights removed thinking it would corrode the "aluminum" the guy there told me they were plastic and that they would not corrode. I had the weights changed out to glue on's anyway just for the astetics. He told me he liked the plastic version for the durability over chromed aluminum, that he has saw plenty of the chromed versions pit and peel, and that the plastic versions were holding up quite well. Like any wheel if you do not keep up on the cleaning of the brake dust, it eventually eats into anything. I am not saying you are not keeping them clean, but maybe the PO did not, and we all know how these Ford brakes like to turn our wheels black in no time. This is my first experiance with the plastic covers also, so I am hoping the "tire guy" is correct on the durability of the plastic. But after hearing your concerrns, I'll take extra care to keep these things clean.
Yup, mine have pitting around the edges. I drive my truck in the woods so they have scratches too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is with these wheels?